We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort/beach opinions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Resort/beach opinions

My husband and I vacationed at the Riu Macao this past March with another couple and had an amazing time. We are planning to return this coming March but because we will be bringing my son (18) and daughter (15), we will not be able to stay at an AO. We were very pleased with the food at the Riu and thought the beach was amazing. We were also very happy with the size. We are considering the Riu Palace Bavaro but are open to other resorts as well. Two we are considering are the Bahia Principe Esmeralda and the Iberostar Bavaro Punta Cana since they are on either side of the Riu property. We know what to expect in terms of the beach, but were looking for opinions based on amenities/food/atmosphere. We can’t do an AO obviously but do not need “family friendly” nor do we need a super large resort. We want to be able to walk to the beach easily.

We have also looked at Now Larimar and the Paradisus Palma Real (further south than Riu) as well as Dreams Palm Beach (even further south). I am wondering how the beaches here compare to those closer to near the Riu as well as how the resorts rate in terms of size or atmosphere.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort/beach opinions

I stayed at the Now Larimar when it was the NH Real. I thought the beach was fantastic....

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort/beach opinions

Even-though it's just to the north, the beachfront at RIU and Iberostar are definitely superior to that at the Gran Bahia (as are those two resorts in comparison). The beach by NOW is great as is the beach by Paradisus Palma Real. Both are smaller in-size to the aforementioned properties with the PPR being one of the region's top complexes. Dreams Palm Beach is an older, compact sized resort on a nice stretch of beach, and especially appeals to families with younger kids and grandparents in-tow.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort/beach opinions

TravelPro: Thank you for the advise. I am thinking that PPR might be out of the budget as it seems to come in almost $1000 per person. I am hesitating on the Bahia due to size. I did not find the Riu Bavaro too large when I was there. Do you know how the NOW compares to the Riu Bavaro in size and distance from the beach? And do you have any recommendations of non AO resorts?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort/beach opinions

RIU is much larger than NOW, which has a great beach just a short walk from the rooms. There is also the original Paradisus Punta Cana property for you to check-out, that will price lower than their newer Palma Real. Also look at Dreams La Romana, which is on the true Caribbean just about an hour south of the airport in Punta Cana.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort/beach opinions

We enjoyed our stay at Iberostar Bavaro. We had ages 13, 15 and 24, plus adults and a senior. It was great, we loved it all. Beach was great, food good, not a far walk from the beach .What I like about the resort is that we were always near everything but felt secluded when we needed it. Access to the Iberostar Punta Cana and Dominicana worked out well too... Good luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort/beach opinions

Now and PPR are both located on the best stretch of beach. I've stayed at Melia next to PPR and the water was great

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort/beach opinions

Travel pro: Is NOW smaller than the entire RIU complex or than the Palace Bavaro itself? If it is smaller than the Bavaro that would be great! I actually spent time looking at the Dreams La Rom. Today and thought it was lovely. I am not sure if I can convince the other couple we are traveling with if the transfer time would be worth it. It is about 90 minutes from PC airport? It is cheaper for us to fly there and direct. I will look at the PC reserve as well.

We walked down to the Iber. but I am still trying to figure out the differences between the resorts. I am guessing the Ib. Bavaro is the highest non AO?

Thanks so much! Love the advice here

nyc
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort/beach opinions

Dreams laromana is pretty good, it now takes 45 minutes from PUJ in taxi, with the new highway.

9. Re: Resort/beach opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17