We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Finally came down to 2 choices, the Bahia Esmeralda and Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe. We're traveling with 2 kids so both these resorts attracted my attention. If anyone had stayed here and can give me their opinions... Its our 1st time. The waterparks at the Barcelo BavPD is really attractive too.

Also, anyone had traveled to PC in early Aug? Hows the weather? Some rain? No rain?

How about Food on both resorts? Activities for kids? Hotel Grounds? Modern Rooms? Beach? These are all what i'm looking for.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 20:50
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Anyone? I've read that a cpl ppl on here had just gotten back from Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe.

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

How old are your children?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

OP's children are 3 & 9...

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Cindy H

Kids are 9 and 13.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Sorry Sherill my mistake, in your PM to me you have 3 guess you forgot the 1 in front of it lol :-)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Oh sorry Bigjim... Lol my fault. Yes 9 and 13 is it.

I've finally narrowed to 2 resorts... Whew! Never knew finding a resort could be so hard! Especially if its the 1st time visiting.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Sherill the great thing is that chances are you will likely catch the "Domini bug" (not an actual bug) but it tends to happen that the day your leaving paradise your already trying to figure out when you can book that next vacation to get back to DR... Worse then nicking for a cigarette..

Whatever resort you choose you will have a great resort to compare future trips with to ultimately find your second home :)

safe travels!

Edited: 15 May 2014, 03:58
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

The beach at Barcelo Bavaro is way nicer. Great for kids too.

Mark

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

lots of things at Barcelo for kids. They have their own games centre, a teen disco, activities. I didnt' see any upset children there if that's anything to go by. I'm not sure about the Esmeralda but I do know that people love it. On our plane/bus ride home, not one person had anything bad to say about where they stayed - and that is unusual.

Courtice, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lux Bahia Principe Esmeralda or Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

We've stayed at both, Esmeralda last year and BBP a few weeks ago. They are both very nice resorts, and we would stay at either again.

I think the kids water park at BBP is better than the one at Esmeralda. I prefer the food at the Esmeralda, although the food at BBP is fine.

Both resorts are fairly new and are very clean. The beach is probably nicer at the BBP.

The Esmeralda is a smaller resort (as part of a large resort) than the BBP so you don't have to walk far to get to the pool, lobby etc.

Overall, I slightly prefer the Esmeralda over the BBP.