We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

it's baffling how many ppl not just complain but outright RACIST about dominican's lack of speaking/understanding english.

fyi - ENGLISH is NOT the most widely spoken language in the world - mandarin is.

like someone else on the forum wrote, before complaining about how dominicans can't speak english, why not address our own inability to understand spanish? the staff i met knew more english than i did spanish, and i appreicated that because I AM VISITING THEIR COUNTRY!

we'd all have a happier vacation if we have the curtsy to pick up a spanish phrasebook, or at the least, have some respect for the staff that work 10 hr days for $50/week to cater to our needs.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

Bravo, Wacky... you are right. It is my intent to do all I can to learn a few basic words in spanish. Sometimes some of us feel that the world must cater to what makes us comfortable... In addition, why go to a country and then be anoyed by their language ... hmmm?? There are many English speaking Islands in the Carribean.

Yem

upstate New york
Level Contributor
191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

I am an American so I can say this. We are the most narcissitic bunch of people out there. Why do people wonder why most people in the world hate our guts!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

I couldn't agree more Wacky. We are learning spanish online and also bought a cd on learning spanish. Can't wait to go....5 more sleeps!!!!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

WORD!!!!!! En espanol por favor.

you don't need to be fluent......just gotta learn enough to get by......

Can you order a drink in Spanish?????Better learn....

nate

hamilton
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

We take for granted how lucky we are especially when it comes to eduaction in canada we have all the means to learn multiple languages in schools, online, bookstores. not to mention that we have so many immigrants in our country so we need to have an understanding. I think we just expect people to have the same level of understanding and customer relations that we have come to expect here. We expect people to be experts at what ever job they do and perfection is something we all aspire to. so for those who are anything less we are annoyed. The fact is that we need to remember were going on vacation, My daughter would say hakuna matata( for all those without kids, from the lion king, it means no worries) we are able to overcome any situation, our busy lives and careers no matter what it is. train us that we can get by, were adaptable, relax and have a servasa.. (did i say that right? oh well )

We should all have come to realize that there will be language barriers there is every where.

atlantic city n.j.
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

After returning from sunscape beach last week, heres my view on the language barrier..First off, my wife speaks Italian, so we where able to communicate with the staff...With that being said, I think that if you flew into the D.R. buy your self, booked a local hotel and ate at the local resturants, than YES you will need to comunicate with the locals..But thats not the case, when you book an all inclusive. Most visiters there speak english, a few are from euorpe, alot are from canada..I think that if the staff was able to understand 20% english, maybe more, than most of the so called problems in these resorts would be gone.. We got buy just fine. Did this help in our getting service?? well no, it didn,t. Its frustrating when you ask a worker something, and they stare at you with a blank stare. I found out real quick that the dollar worked real good in getting better service, and thats a shame because they preach that you don,t have to tip at these places.. And even tipping didn,t bring return service.. That I,ll blame on management..Bottom line I think is, learn to speak some spanish, smile a lot, and you,ll get buy just fine

Minnesota
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

To Natedawg-- You crack me up. I do hope we run into you and your wife while down there. I have a feeling you know how to order a drink in quite a few different languages!LOL

toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

im so glad you agree! majority of very negative user reviews i've read complain a whole lot about nothing and the language barrier... it seems their reviews reflect more on WHO THEY ARE than how the resort actually is!! i just dont get how ppl insist on visiting other countries with a higher than thou stick up the yahoo...

and the narcissist USA comment - haha... okay ya, i've come across a few from the GB to the DR, but i must admit there's a fair share of donks from other countries too, including canada!

on "tipping" that was brought up - of course technically AI's include all gratuities, and my experience is that the staff really DONT expect tips... but man they work so hard for so little! just like waiters in NA, they always get shafted by the big man! $50 a week - i still can't get over that.

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

I can't complain about teh language barrier, i chose to go somewhere foreign!

Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: comment on the DR's english deficiency... or is it OUR own...

I can barely speak spanish, I can order a drink, ask someone how they are, goodmorning, goodnight, the simple stuff. When I dont understand someone or when they dont understand me I simply smile or laugh and they will do the same. I love listening to and trying to learn other languages, Its part of traveling. I find the staff members at resorts eager to learn english and teach spanish and I can't understand anyone getting frustrated and being rude to these people who are overworked, underpaid and always smiling.