We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Leeds
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Hi guys,

We are staying at the Excellence from 9th August and wondered how strict the restaurants are on men wearing long trousers? Would long cargo shorts do or do they stick to the dress code? My husband hates having to wear long trousers on holiday as he wears them for work all year round but if that is the requirement then that is what we will bring with us. In Aruba last year men seemed to be wearing long shorts when it had required long trousers, it is a bit confusing!

Also on another note, we have a master suite booked through our travel agents, any views on what is the best floor/area to request? Thanks for any advice you can give. Counting down the days.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

9 restaurants in total, 6 require long pants at dinner. All buildings are 3 floors high; rooms on top floor are quieter (less hallway traffic). As for which building, really none of them are bad since all buildings are fairly close to the pool/beach/restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Long pants are required at the indoor restaurants. There are 4 that are indoor only (Barcelona, Flavor Market, Toscana, and Spice). Chez Isabelle and Agave are indoor, with an outdoor courtyard between them. I'm not sure, but I think you can wear shorts in that courtyard. Oregano, Lobster House, and The Grill are outdoor / open air.

I really haven't paid attention as to how strictly this is enforced. I always wear long pants to dinner. But I suggest you not risk it. Bring long pants.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

My experience is that you need long pants even in the courtyard of Chez Isabelle and Agave.

But you are good to go with dress shorts in Oregano, The Grill and Lobster House.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

All of the Master Suites are in building 5, on the lower end of the cascade pool.

I'm not a fan of ground floor rooms, but I have to say there is an advantage to ground floor when it comes to the Master Suites. They have a large patio, with a day bed, and the pool bar is a stones throw away (off to the side). Out the other side, walk down a path and you're at the Sports Bar. I don't think you'd get much traffic there. My issues with ground floor rooms is that I think it's more likely for them to be musty, and I think you're more likely to get critters in the room.

Building 5 is furthest from the beach, but still not far (maybe 500 feet). It's a short walk to the lobby and restaurants.

Mark

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Flavor Market -- don't remember this one from the last time we were there in December 2012. Where is it and what do they serve?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

TeamShine,

Flavor Market is a tapas restaurant that opened when we were there in December. They split the Barcelona restaurant in two, with a full wall separating the two restaurants, sort of on a diagonal. So the entrance to Barcelona is still at the same spot. The entrance to Flavor Market is part way along the wooden walkway that runs along there, from The Grill to the lobby and Toscana. They rebuilt the walkway, and the fountain / pool that is beside it, and created a walkway over it for the entrance to Flavor Market.

Basically, you order a bunch of dishes, from a large and eclectic selection, and share. We didn't know what to order, so they just kept bringing various dishes to our table. It's fun.

Mark

Edited: 19 May 2014, 01:44
Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Ah. Sounds sort of like what Barcelona used to be. The first time we were there it was tapas for appetizers and then you could order a main. Then they did away with the tapas the second time we were there.

Looking forward to it!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

They've had a Flavor Market at Excellence Playa Mujeres for a while. I was hoping they'd do away with Barcelona and open a Basmati (Indian food) restaurant like they have in Mexico, but I asked, and no plans to do so.

When are you going? I'll be there in a few weeks.

Mark

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

Hi Olldan,

The outdoor restaurants (Grill,Lobsterhouse,Las Olas,and the beach dinners shorts are okay.

All the indoor restaurants even with the courtyard at Chez and Agave require long pants.

Just returned on the 16 of May. My friend had to go back to the room to change to get into the courtyard at Chez.

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening wear at Excellence Punta Cana

We've booked for Christmas again. Can't wait!