We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What ever happened to the good old days?

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
What ever happened to the good old days?

Remember the times before internet and cell phones? When you could go on a vacation completely uninterrupted? I leave next Friday for a week away from jobs and children on my 2nd honeymoon/20th anniversary. I'm struggling with the idea to turn off the phones etc... to completely get away. My children will be left in the capable hands of their grandmother. They aren't prone to sickness etc... I' having a hard time letting go. I do plan on bringing my phone with me for obvious reasons but once we touch down........what to do? Has anyone else had this dilemma? What did you do?

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

My husband and I will be heading to Punta Cana a few days after you. We are also leaving our kids in the capable hands of their grandmother. My youngest is probably the main reason we need a vacation (she's 3 1/2 and we are in our early 40's) and my biggest concern will be if my 70 year old mother can keep up with her....lol. I find it imperative to check in often to make sure things are running smoothly. We have reserved the wireless device from Gobecon to make sure we are connected.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

arrive, shut it down and enjoy the short vacation week or long vacation weekend. you are only coming for the usual 4-6 nights, right?

even in case something unexpected would happen at home, what ever it may be, You could do nothing from here and you would not stay a chance to come back home right away to turn anything around.

i check the message on my turned off cell once a day for business purposes only, that's all for that an dif not for the own company's needs, the phone would stay turned off from arrival til departing the hotellobby.

but the modern times can also be used as advantages, not everything new is bad, we just need to learn to take it in reasonable doses, as overdoses of Good would only lead to Bad results.

use e-mail for example, to send every other day a short "Hello, the weather is perfect" report with a funny photo of you on a beach or pool attached. or agree with family on a specific time for a skype video call every other day via your smartphone or laptop, but that would start to come close to bothering excessive overdosing of "good", so careful how far you let it go.

the average visitor is not even coming for a real full week, for such short times away from home no permanent contact is necessary, as you sure would never leave your children or pets etc in the hands of someone you don't trust a 1000%%%, right? so do trust them and enjoy your vacation.

Mike

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
48 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

I say turn em off. You can be reached thru the resort if an emergency. I'm planning on being inebriated and not worrying about all the work/issues left behind. I can only hope the same for my wife.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
650 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

Phone,laptop etc. staying at home. Screw'em- I'm on vacation...

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

When our kids were little we didn't have cell phones. We left the number of our travel agent and the resort. And we would call home mid trip. Since it was before the time of 24/7 contact, it wasn't difficult. We knew if there was an emergency we could be reached.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

We didn't even own a cell phone when we first visited PC in 2012, and we left the laptop at home. Our resort has free international calling which is nice, and we called twice while we were away as kids were home alone for the first time for a longer stretch (7 days). We left our travel agent's email and phone number, all of our itinerary info and the resort number.

We now have a cell phone, lol, but it will be useless to us except for the wifi. We will again call upon arrival and maybe one other time, maybe an email, and they'll have all our info, as will my parents. The kids (17 and 22) know to check their email regularly just in case I reach out, but I won't be updating daily or anything - we're on holiday!!! The neighbours will keep an eye, my parents will keep an eye, their uncle will keep an eye and it's all good!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

lacey, Zoetry has free phone calls and a free PC in the "Internet café". Leave everything at home and relax. Sitting in that magnificent lobby at night with nothing buzzing in your pocket just makes the experience all that much nicer!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

Never bring electronics. Never worry about a thing. Never leave a contact number. No one knows where to reach us. What could we do, we're 1000 miles away? Enjoy the vacation.

OK. Maybe I worry a little about the dog.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

Although our kids are grown and know not to contact us while on vacation, it never fails, one of our parents will "forget" and panic when they can't reach us for what they perceive as an emergency. My parents were convinced my daughter had been kidnapped when they couldn't reach her in Cancun.:}

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What ever happened to the good old days?

Yah doug, that's the free international calling I was talking about :) It was very handy to be able to just pick up the phone and call right through with no charges - great perk and certainly does help us relax knowing the kids/parents are in easy, hassle-free reach should we choose to reach out :D