We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

I read that for packaged transfer your airport bus takes you to main Bahia Principe lobby and from there you take golf car to Bahia Principe Esmeralda lobby. What if will book private transfer - will they take me directly to lobby of Bahia Principe Esmeralda? Anybody knows this?

Edited: 22 May 2014, 16:41
DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

No, they won't. They will drop you off at the main lobby and then you take a tram to the Esmeralda.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

DDF - Thank you!

So anyone would have idea how much time you would save by taking private transfer vs included. I am flying from Toronto with AirTransat. I expect that from airport to hotel there will be a big bus, so I will have to wait for all airplane passangers to go through customs, receive bags. If I will be sitting in the middle of airplane, will I save more than 30min with private transfer? I found that private transfer would cost about 40US$ + tip.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 16:58
Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

Will save time because if you take the transporation provided in your package, they will more than likely make a few stops along the way, although I'm not sure how much time. If you do decide to go this route, be sure to let the transat rep who will be at the bus know. If not, they will not leave until you are on the bus making a few travellers angry.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

The last 5 years, I have tried to tell the Transat rep that we would not be taking the transportation provided. Only once did someone say "thank you for letting me know". Even this year, I told him and he waved me on and didn't even look at his list to cross us off. While there was only 4 of us this year, some years there are 10-12. Go figure. We got to the resort at least an hour prior to the rest of the guests.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 18:01
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

private transfers or the common included shuttle doesn't matter, at the large Bahia Principe Resort their small sections named Ambar and Esmeralda doe not provide Road Access for Transfers of any kind to their lobbies. guests of the Ambar are dropped off and luggage unloaded at the Bavaro Lobby, guests of the Esmeralda face the same at the Punta Cana lobby. then all gets loaded up on gofcarts for the short ride to the Ambar/Esmeralda lobby where finally the check in takes place. i never understood how a hotel/now even 2 of that kind at the same resort can plan new constructions without including a sinple thing like the necessary Transfer access to the Hotellobby, clearly a inconvenience/leak of service.

so it does not matter on the case to take a private transfer or not.

the same is the case for both hotels when you book any off resort activities/excursions, your drivers for the tours will not await you at your hotellobby as usual at other hotels, they will await the Ambar guests at the Bavaro lobby and the Esmeralda guests at the Punta Cana lobby. while even early morning bthe Tram/Carts between Ambar and Bavaro lobbies run mostly reliably frequent, at the Esmeralda such is hit and miss and sometimes guests had to wait more than 20 minutes to get a ride to the punta cana lobby, so keep such in count when going on a excursion, to not miss your driver, as it would be the guests resonsibility to be at the correct lobby on time.

happy travels

Mike

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

You certainly will save time when going to a big resort like the Bahia because I am sure there will be a whole bus load going. So yes you have to wait for everyone to get on the bus. And sometimes there are a few who need to grab a few puffs before they get on the bus.

We went to Dreams La Romana once and flew into Punta Cana. We were the only ones from our flight going there so it was just like a private transfer. We walked right out - got in the van and we were off.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

OK, thank you very much for all your suggestions.

One more questions - it appears that pre-booked transportation and cab price is the same - about 40$. Is there any reason for pre-booking transportation? I do not need any drinks or anything for a ride. I just want to be at the resort as fast as possible.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

the only reason for prebooked transportation would be a cheaper rate for the transfer. otherwise a taxi is the most convenient, as no prebooking is necessary, available 24/7 at airport and hotel, no printing of booking papers, no prepayment, no search for a specific driver, no hassles if your flight comes early or delayed, just walk out, hopp on the Cab an daway you go.

Mike

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

Here is a link for a private transfert company Your hotel figure on the list. but You may check with them to make sure and is not to expensive too.

http://www.dominicanairporttransfers.com

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do private transfer takes you to Bahia Principe Esmeralda?

Hi Vidas

To answer your question. All transfers, private, taxi etc all drop off and pick up at the main lobby :)