We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Chico, California
4 posts
Save Topic
What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

I would love to know what you brought that you ended up not needing and those things that you loved having.

Also what you wish you brought or didn't have to buy.

Staying at Eden Roc first week of July, first time to the DR on our honeymoon.

Thank you in advance!! :)

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Bring three tubes of HIGH # sunscreen, very expensive at the resorts, comfortable walking shoes, patience, and smiles.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

if travelling with a small one, bring a stroller, we didn't on our first stay, which was just a 4 nights long weekend, been missed.

lots of sunblocker and those aftersun and afterburn products, even cheapest brands cost a fortune at the resort shops, and you wont wanna pay a taxi roundtrip to get some of that stuff which costs just a few dollars back home.

again fir travelers with a Baby, bring everything you need on daily bases for the little one, like the milk powder, diapers, wipes, compost glasses, a mozzie net, a floaty where he(she can sit in, swim diapers.

do never ever leave home without the appropriate med insurance.

always have 1KUSFunds per person at hand as backup(money which you do not count/use for excursions or tips or anything else). make sure to have at least one credit card with a significant allowance/limit and inform your bank/cardprovider that you may use it in the DR.

happy travels

Mike

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Bring: Plenty of high quality sunscreen. Thermo mugs, seperate for beer and coffee. Basic 1st aid things. Immodium.

Dont pack so many clothes.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Less clothes, less makeup and jewelry , any med you might need ( if I forget it DH. Needs it LOL) don't bring new shoes! Did that once and had blisters the first day! It's also good to bring sandals with different types of straps ie not all pairs that go between your toes in case of irritation

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

We were very glad we had mosquito repellant, hydrocortisone cream and aloe gel, and of course the "just in case" meds like Pepto, Tylenol etc.

Damp Rid helped keep a lot of moisture from getting into clothes.

Bubble wrap and large ziplocs were handy to wrap up anything breakable we brought back.

Definitely brought too many clothes (shorts and T-shirts).

I was happy I'd brought along a "cheat sheet" of Spanish words/phrases - we were able to leave thank you notes/requests for the staff who attended our room, and it was fun to practice our Spanish with all the staff :)

Enjoy your trip !

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

On one of our first trips to the DR, I wish that I would have used zip lock bags for my sun tan lotion so that all of my clothes were not covered in the stuff when we got there......now, everything goes into them.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 13:25
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

We forgot our water proof credit card holders. Great cuz they are on a cord. Can't believe I forgot them. Gah!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Eden Roc is one of my favorite resorts in Punta Cana. You'll love it. There isn't much that you could forget that they won't have at the resort or find for you. I would pack especially light at this resort.

@dawnskye.....what is a credit card holder and why do you need them?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
287 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

I brought too many cans of insect repellant, too much medicine (never had an upset stomach or headache) and not quite enough sunscreen. Also didn't need the large insulated mug that most people insist upon, though I might be the exception to that :)

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What you needed, left, and wished you left/had

Heya Tingy!

What we have is a plastic and watertight holder about 1/4 inch thick that is on a cord. It is great for holding keycards and a bit of cash. It is worn around the neck. ours kinda looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/WITZ-Keep-Waterproof-Sports-Yellow/dp/B0065CMTFG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1403314129&sr=8-6&keywords=waterproof+credit+card+holder

Very convenient!