We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Looking for help from the experts. I am a research hound and have probably spent 40 hours researching our next vacation!! But, I have seen too much and am now confused!! My husband and I have not been on a beach vacation since we got married at Couples Negril 8 years ago. We absolutely loved it there, but want to try something new. These are our musts:

All Inclusive

Adult Only - a must since we are leaving 2 toddlers at home!!

White sand, crystal blue water

Higher end food

Higher end drinks (heard one place offered nothing but rum slushies - no thanks!!)

Oceanfront (or at least view) with balcony (preferably with infinity or plunge pool on balcony)

Some watersports and activities, but not looking for a party crowd

Think we would prefer a smaller resort than the mega-complexes, but open on that one

Like the idea of no reservations for dinner (acceptable at the high end restaurants though)

We are going Feb/Mar 2015 from Cleveland, OH and our budget is around $5,000

Secrets and El Dorado seem to keep popping up in my searches.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Sorry! Can't figure out how to edit my post. El Dorado was when Mexico was in the running. Still is, but it seems the beaches aren't as nice as Punta. Thanks!!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
287 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

I was at Secrets in June 2013.... Seems to have most of your requirements. I'm not sure any AI has top notch food, but theirs was pretty good. Many different types and brands of liquors but I'm not sure about beer. We loved it here and would definitely go back.

Level Contributor
401 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

I well say that although Secrets itself is AO, it is attached to Now Larimar which is not. The majority o of restaurants are on the Now side as well. So if you want strictly AO, Secrets probably isn't for you. I've heard great things about Melia Caribe Tropical & Excellence which I believe are both AO.

I want to add that I will actually be staying at Now Larimar & would have loved to have stayed at Secrets, but I wanted an ocean front suite & I'm a big kid at heart, so Secrets would have worked for me but it was a bit above my budget.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 16:43
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Melia Caribe Tropical is mostly family, with a section called The Level Adult Only. Excellence if completely adult only, and not attached to any sort of family resort. Breathless is like that as well. Iberostar Grand Bavaro is adult only. There are dining options at the neighbouring resorts, but you don't have to go there.

Excellence and Breathless have no reservations for dinner and lots of restaurants. 9 a la cartes at Excellence, and I believe 8 at Breathless. Excellence has a beautiful beach, but the surf can be rough. It does have some ocean front rooms, and lots of ocean view rooms. Not much in the way of ocean view at Iberostar Grand. The water is calmer there and the sand whiter, but reservations are required for dinner. They have 4 a la cartes and a buffet. Excellence and Breathless are more remote, so the beaches are not busy.

Iberostar Grand is posh / glitzy. Excellence is tropical. Breathless is modern / funky. All serve premium liquor. Excellence has terrace suites with plunge pools, but that might be above your budget at that time of year.

Mark

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Two exclusively adult-only resorts here are the new Breathless Resort and the older Excellence Resort, both about 40 minutes north of the airport in the Uvero Alto Beach area. The sand there is not sugar-white like those resorts to the south, and the surf conditions at Excellence can be 'red-flag' rough especially during winter months. But they both fit your requirements. The Breathless Resort receives our top recommendation.

If you don't object to an adult-only section within a family-friendly complex, our top three recommendations that fit your requirements are the Iberostar Grand Bavaro, the Paradisus Palma Real Royal Service, as well as the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. The adult-only Level section at the Melia Caribe/Tropical is a good suggestion, but if you are looking for a smaller complex, this is not the resort for you!

For that time of year, the best for your budget will be the Catalonia Royal. You will love their expansive white beachfront and calm surf.

Happy Travels whichever you choose!

Dallas, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

we have a trip booked to breathless next month. For everything we looked at it had the most.

Hopefully it will be enjoyable.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

klkpsu,

You may want to consider the Riu Palace Macao. It may not have all the tick marks you were looking for, but it hits many and is a smaller, self-contained resort. Lots of bang for the buck.

Check out my review from 2012, after renovations were complete and it became AO. We've been twice since then and it has only gotten better.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d150…

Traveler

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

Breathless is a resort in the secrets family just on its own as others have said. Nice resort, lots of food choices. Can be very active or not depends on how active you choose to be. Free Wifi and calls back home to check on the little ones if that helps. Beach is roomy and can walk forever in either direction. Shows for the most are pretty good. Only needs to make reservations for Silk City all the rest you just go. Of course during peak times you may have to wait a bit but thats normal. Always found something i liked very picky eater. Of course there is room service as well. Been to Breathless twice and planning trip there for January.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

I enjoyed Excellence and look forward to trip #4 in March. Was also at the GBP Ambar. While it is part of a mega resort, it is a great bang for the buck but it shares the disco/theater/sports bar and shopping areas with kids as well as all restaurants outside the Ambar. This did not bother me but may bother some. Still, it is a great value. Both are great places but Excellence is more intimate and romantic. The surf may be rough and the sands the color of light brown sugar but it is also far less congested. Also, I like the pool at EPC better and the booze is better quality. :D

10. Re: Best Adult Only All Inclusive in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17