We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Airport/ Airline Questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
2 Airport/ Airline Questions

First question: I just returned from a trip to New Orleans, we flew Delta, and we did carry-on only since it was a short trip. Our bags are regulation size (fit in the little box thing) and we weren't over packed at all.

The gate agent made us gate check our bags because she claimed there wasn't enough overhead bin space left. When we boarded at least half the bin space was still available, so she was a tad bit over zealous!

Just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem with Delta at PUJ? I'm planning on checking a bag but we always bring a carry-on with a change of clothes, etc.

Second question: I've read in previous reports on TA and other travel sites that PUJ security sometimes doesn't allow ANY liquids in carry-on bags even if it conforms to the 3 ounces/1qt. rule.

Has anyone ran into this problem lately? Thank you.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

Have never been stopped for my 3 oz. bottles of vodka in the 1 quart bag at any airport.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

Have never been stopped for any liquids in carry on. Also never made to check a bag on our flights, have seen it once happen to someone else... it was only due to last boarding and no room.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
778 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

You have to remove your liquids from your carry on and pu it in the plastic bin. When they see liquids inside the luggage ( during screening ) they can assume that you wanted to hide it because it is something illegal / not allowed and they can confiscate it. All liquids should be placed in zip log bag. I follow this rule and never had any problems.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

Thank you all. Sounds like all will be good.

Yes I always take my plastic bag out with my liquids and put it in the tray. I don't get myself too stressed about going through security, go by all the rules. Some people get themselves so worked up about it and angry about the scrutiny...it is what it is, imo.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

You'll have no issues with a good attitude like yours :) Enjoy your trip!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

First one: they are too aggressive to speed up the boarding in the states, yes. But here, not so much. Two: Yes, I have seen them take liquids, even of the small variety in a zip lock. Umbrellas also. As a result I just don't bring any back with me any more.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

oh Kathryn 752, wish i could do a like on this page!!!!

I never did that, thought I would get caught :-)

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

The Delta ground & flight crew can require that you gate-check your carry-on bag - even if it conforms to their standards. But they cannot charge you any luggage fee if they do gate-check it. Best to have anything of value in a smaller, under-seat sized piece of hand-luggage in any event.

And going thru security as you exit PUJ, if they want to confiscate something, you either give it up willingly or you will not be cleared thru to your flight. We have personally experienced and witnessed many bizzare antics there all in the name of 'security regulation'.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

So maybe the best bet is to put liquids of any value, like makeup and good moisturizer, in a checked bag. Things like hand sanitizer or basic lotion I don't care too much if I loose.

We have a fairly long flight and I figured I'd want to freshen up a bit during our layover, so that's why I'd want at least some liquids. Oh and I can't fly without lubricating eye drops, I hope they don't want those.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Airport/ Airline Questions

Eyedrops can be brought in a very small bottle, under an ounce. Just bag according to TSA guidelines. Another thought for freshening up is wipes. There are plenty available on the market from womans and mens brands in single use foil to plain old baby wipes in travel packs.