We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unsure of babysitting service at resort

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
unsure of babysitting service at resort

We will be going to Grand Palladium Palace in a few weeks and I feel very weird about leaving my 9 month old with a babysitting service. So much so that I'm not going to do it. The downfall is that I won't have anytime with just me and my husband. Am I weird? I'm supposed to trust a resort in a country where, to be honest, has VERY different laws than where I live (Canada). Not saying that they could easily sell my baby on the black market but...well...yah I guess I am saying that lol. To the parents out there who utilize the babysitting service, how do you do it? Or does it just feel comfortable when you get there and get to meet the person who does it? Kinda of a goofy question but I'm just nervous as this will be the first time travelling with our kids.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Im one of those parents that is against using sitter service. A baby is an even bigger decision to leave with a stranger in a strange land. Im not worried my child would abducted as much as anything can happen ,and im not there to protect.

The one time we did use a kids club, we were very anxious wondering if our child was ok. Not a good way to relax.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

I don't think you're weird at all. It's hard enough for parents to select a daycare center at home, after extensive research, recommendations from friends or family, tours of facilities, background checks - what have you. There's no way I'd leave my 9 month old in the care of a total stranger in a foreign country.... nope, wouldn't do it.

So, how do you and hubby find time for the two of you? Well, if baby MUST come with you (can't stay with grandparents at home, for instance), then what about bringing a grandparent or a babysitter WITH you? Yes, extra room, extra airfare, but with a babysitter, lots of time for you and hubby to recharge your marriage....

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Courtesy of PalladiumAddict:

Does the resort offer babysitting services?

Yes. The babysitter service offered by the hotel is NOT a professional service; it is made up by individuals who work in the hotel and are willing and able to provide the service outside their regular working hours.

Babysitting Rules and Policies

• There is no service for kids under the age of 1 year old. (allowed for ages 1-14 YO)

• The babysitter service has a charge of $10 USD per hour per kids. Payment shall be in cash

directly to the babysitter right after the service.

• It will not be allowed (under any circumstances) there to be more than 3 kids under one

babysitter if two of them are younger than 6.

• The parents have to inform the babysitter where they are going to be and make sure there is a

way to contact them in case of an emergency. (A Walkie-Talkie can be providing if parents

requires.)

• The cancellation policy is of at least 12 hours before the service, this is to enable us to locate

the babysitter and inform her of the cancellation.

• If the guest cancels after the 12 hours and the babysitter is already on site or on her way, the

guest will have to cover the first hour of service. (10 USD)

• The babysitter is not allowed (under any circumstance) to administer medicines, even if they

are prescribed by the doctor and they will not be held responsible for kids suffering any kind of

physical or mental sickness.

• The hotel does not provide the clean products for the babies’ items.

• The babysitter is not allowed to take the kids into the pool or beach area.

• If the service is performed at night, it will have to be inside the room.

CONTACT GUEST SERVICES TO RESERVE

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Like anything else in life, to each their own. Personally, I wouldn't travel with a nine month old out of the country. Is that weird!! Can you trust the hospital that has different laws and a language barrier if your child should become ill? There's a lot to consider when traveling with an infant but only you can make the decision. What someone else does has no barrier on your own. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 18:27
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing that I'm not a worry wart or that I'm a bad person for not trusting people lol. As for traveling with my 9 month old, I would much rather leave her here or not go at all because I will be very restricted on what I do but we have to bring her. I'm so much worried about her contracting a disease or ailment because she will be eating ONLY the baby food I bring and drinking ONLY the formula I pack but I will be worried about the sun, the bugs, the pool, the ocean, will she sleep, the plane ride, will she freak out..etc. I guess worrying is normal though

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Maybe you can arrange for a romantic, extra-special room service meal to be served on your balcony, once baby is down for the night.... I know it may not be what you envision, but you work with what you've got, right?

nyc
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

No needs for big worries traveling with an infant. Our child was 8 months on his first trip.

Make sure you pack right, get the medical travel insurance, bring a stroller , dont drink, rinse, or brush with the tap water. Dont sterilize bottles with tap water.

Our child did fine, and I feel we were treated with more attention from staff.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

We travelled out of the country many times when our kids were that age. They did fine. As far as the sun, bugs, etc. What do you do at home? It sounds like she is too young for the sitter services. I would not leave a 9 month old with a stranger anyways. When they came with us it was a dedicated family vacation. Otherwise they stayed at home, or we brought a sitter with us.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Poozieny has good idea. Thats what i would do, and kind of have minus the room service.

Just unscrew the light bulb on the balcony...:o)

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unsure of babysitting service at resort

Some kiddos will shriek as if you are murdering them if left with a strange person...others are fine with anyone. You are the only one who knows your child best. I like the idea of bringing your own sitter if you can afford it. Then again, peace of mind knows no price.