We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating meat

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
eating meat

I've been warned by several people that have visited the Dominican Republic to not eat any meat. I've also been told that chicken, beef and fish are fine just not pork. Any comments on this? My husband and I both enjoy eating various types. I understand that there could have been some bad meat but not numerous people and all meat types. This wasnt at one particular resort either just in general. Thanks!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating meat

I can' think of a single reason not to eat the meat. The quality is not like we have in the Midwest, especially the beef. Most of it is tough or not cooked to my personal liking but others rave about the meat, including pork. It just depends on what you are accustomed to eating and your palate. You won't starve, even if you don't care for the meat there are plenty of other options.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating meat

Meat, pork, chicken - I eat it all. No problems. Like anywhere else, some places you stay in that country will have good stuff, and some not so good. I ate lots of beef and pork on my last visit, and no issues. In fact, it was quite good.

Mark

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating meat

I have found that the pork is generally BETTER than the beef, in the islands. I wouldn't hesitate to eat any, but given the option, I'd likely choose pork over beef.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating meat

I eat it all as well. I've had beef that was fantastic and others not so much....

Had some WONDERFUL pork at the Colonial! Melt in your mouth type......

I will admit to being careful with chicken but I am careful with chicken at home as well. Very rarely do I eat it out.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating meat

I even eat sushi/sashimi (raw fish) in the DR.

Beef, grilled medium rare, pig, chicken, cheese, salads, fruit...

Never gotten ill.

The food in the resorts in not stading ther as a showcase, it really is there to be eaten en enjoyed.

There is nothing that a resort offers that is not suitable for consumption.

Enjoy!

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: eating meat

Truthfully, the meat is bad for your LDL cholesterol levels [just like here at home], other than that it takes great and is safe.

PC

Toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating meat

I had some good goat in a guisado at the Punta Cana Princess. I agree about beef generally being disappointing.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: eating meat

what a statement, Indianapolis.

so what those may people warned you about why to not eat any meat in general?

did they get sick and what they've been diagnosed at their ghospital about what desease they caught from which kind of meat in the DR??

when spreading out such kinda harsh rumors you have to provide details, at nleast a littlebit of info or the tough subject typed above will be seen just as a joke of the lower educational side.

as for meats and own personal fact experiences, i live here since 20 years, since many years i stopped to buy the much more expensive imorted meats(specially beef) from the USA because by my own taste it by far can not hold up with the beef i purchase at the local butcher for a fraction of the price.

never myself nor anyone else in my family nor anyone i just know from around been sick due consumption of meat. i spent many years living up north, i am a meat fan since ever, fantastic steaks had in the USA at great places, but on the mid-lower/daily use quality meat level the DR meat is in no way behind the quality i have been served in the US.

Pork i prefer her o the Island over the north, my fav pork steaks stay the ones i get back home in germany on my plate by Mommy. none of above mentioned countries did ever make me or any familymemberor friend sick from pork or other meats.

as for Seafood/fish/lobsters and that stuff, thats a more dangerous thingy, her it can hit you everywhere at any time, in the DR the same as in the USA or in Germany or somewhere else.

please post here some links to the warnings,

or name the persons who warned you in numbers, so we can contact them directly for info about the theme to stay safe.

happy safe alimentation travels

Mike

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating meat

@MattToronto....love the goat and pigs feet!!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: eating meat

We kill a goat from time to time and often chicken and guinea from the yard. Special holidays we slaughter and roast a pig. It's all good.

What I stay away from are the chicken's feet and beak. Anything else is good. Never got a taste for pig's feet either.

Tourists however, are eating a whole lot of imported meat/seafood so whomever told you that tale is pretty dumb.