We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

I'm learning lots and lots about the lovely Dominican Republic, but I still have lots of answers that searching this forum hasn't answered. To name a few...

We're renting a condo in October in Playa Turquesa, we have a $20 a day credit already built in to the price of condo, can anyone give me a general guide about what to expect if we run the A/C only at night?

I'm trying to budget cash for the all the expenses involved and want to be sure I haven't under estimated.

Like wine, for example. While I am no wine snob, I do LOVE good, hearty, delicious, full-bodied, red wine. And I would love to know what is available locally - I love Chilean Reds! - tell me what to look for, and how much to expect to pay, if possible.

And like I mentioned, we'll be in a condo, and we love to cook - so I'm going to be leaning heavily on the local fruit/veggie carts and local fisherman. But we'll stock up on our way from the airport.

Figure the very basics - eggs, milk, cream, cheese, garlic, herbs, some fruit, veg and beef, chicken, pork, butter or oil, bacon(?). Anyone have any idea in Dominican Pesos what I'd expect to spend for a weeks work for very basic staples for two? I have no frame of reference... so any info helps.

I really appreciate any advice, these boards have guided me on many an adventure!

Many Thanks!

Tina

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

We stayed Jan/ February this year in a condo... We didn't use AC at all but had the overhead fans running constantly in lounge and 2 bdrms and we used the washer / dryer every 3 days approx...our electric was about $200/month...the year before we stayed condo turned everything off always, including hot water which had an on/ off switch...used A/C only in one bedroom for a couple hours/.night was about $120/ month...so I think $20 / day should cover you.

Wine is relative, it is no more expensive than what I would pay in Canada... There is a little supermarket..BAM..attached to Palya Turquesa you can buy decent wine starting around 400 pesos.

I also found the groceries cheaper than in Canada..not sure how it would compare in US...say $150 would set you up easily with plenty of food, snacks etc...( sorry I can't exactly, we went and did big shops and spent around $250 but that was for 3 adults , 2 kids and lasted us a good 2 to 3 weeks with lots of kids crap and with some meals out.)..IMO there is a rd fruit truck always outside PLaya Turquesa...he seemed more expensive than the blue truck that came by every evening around 5 or 6 pm...again hard to say exactly as he gave us sweet deals cause he loved my little guys and always gave them bananas. We could get some tomatoes, huge avocado es, some bananas, mangoes for around 200 pesos or less... We found it better to get what we needed daily....in the heat it doesn't keep well. Fish you should be able to get across the road from Playa Turquesa - you can haggle the price a bit. There a several restaurants in the area all have some nightly/daily deal so for 2 you can dine out pretty cheaply.....enjoy...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

That's good to know and helps with my budgeting, thank you. We are looking at the local restaurants and bars too. Do they advertise their daily specials, or do you have to ask? I know there's a bar across the street that has karaoke, but I can't seem to find exactly when.

Thank you so much!

Tina

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Danny's bar...karaoke is Wednesday I believe. They have a daily special

2 for 1 pizza and also a luch deal for about 285 pesos I think. Most advertise out front. There is plenty around Petit Jardin, Citrus , Nam Nam and many more

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Yes, Danny's bar, that's it. Excellent, thank you! I don't normally do Karaoke - but I'm rather looking forward it in the DR for some reason. 2 for 1 pizza? Now I'm hungry!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

I don't normally do Karaoke either but somehow ended up there singing one Wednesday........oh dear...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

I bet it was fun, why not? Not like anyone is going to judge you - and if they do, who cares and shame on them. My travel companion is a stage performer and has a fantastic singing voice, I hope he'll loosen up enough to do a few cheesy duets with me. Lord knows he's going to have to be tune for both of us, but I think it'll be a fun evening out, and probably pretty inexpensive too.

Thank you!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Check out Onnos Bavaro also...they have some good daily specials. Just a short walk to El Cortecito from Playa Turquesa

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Yes, that is on my list as well. I've done a few 'walk-throughs' of the area on Youtube, and there are so many places I want to visit. Anyone have any recent opinions about Soles Bar? I think it's right next door to Playa Turquesa, yes? And I see there's a Brazilian restaurant close by too, but doesn't get very good reviews?

What about Steve's corner bar? Has it fallen out of 'favor' with the regulars? Is it walkable from our Turquesa?

So many questions! Thanks so much!

Tina

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

Soles you can walk to for sure...maybe 5 minutes ( on the beach)from Playa Turquesa...didn't eat or drink there ( menu was not thrilling).......There is a Brazilian in Playa Turquesa plaza , so basically behind Playa Turqueza...can't tell you how it was...it was new when we were there in Feb. you could not walk to Steve's....Jump on the local bus or cab is probably $15 from playa Turquesa.

10. Re: Electricity, wine, groceries, oh my!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:16