We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you fly first class or coach?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Do you fly first class or coach?

Our last four trips we have flown first class and feel it is so worth it not to feel like a can of sardines. What say you?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

We only have a 41/2 hour flight so not worth paying extra to me....

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,059 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

Any flight over 2.5 hours I try to fly first. Certainly on any overseas flight we do this.

BObK

Edited: 29 June 2014, 14:17
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

A short flight to PC isn't worth it but longer flights it definitely is. I flew 1st to Costa Rica last winter. So nice to arrive relaxed and well fed, not to mention the sparkling wine and Bailey's I consumed. My only other experience was AC to Hawaii where I had one of those private cubicles that makes into a bed. Now THAT was a treat.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

We flew premium economy with Thomson this year.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

Love club class with air transat ( their version of first class) really depends on the deal we get on our package and the time of day we are flying.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

my last 10 flights i upgraded for a great deal last minute from the sardine can to the first class big box, soooo worth it if it fits the budget.

just the prices for the flights from germany to PC to book first class from the beginning, that's outrageous, a huge difference.

i pay Sardine Can 299.- Euros per person each way(i always book one way to stay flexibel on the return fligt date) and on the same flights first class booked right away would have been 1.680.-Euros per person, which on such difference would not have been worth it for me, as it simply would be out of my budget to pay 3.360.- euros for the roundtrip flights only and per person. upgrades last minute always came out to cost me a additional 350-500.- Euros per person each way, plus the 299.- euros of the originally already paid one way price, and they always been very worth it to me.

Mike

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

For the couple of time I have flown out of Santo Domingo on AA I was the only white face in those 22 seats. The cabin was full and everyone else was Dominican!

Jetblue has made itself the largest carrier of passengers to and from the Dominican Republic mostly from Dominican Americans,but the upper classes of Dominican society still living on the island still very much prefer AA for its premium product and its global reach once the plane arrives in MIA.

While the coach product is nothing to rave about on AA, below average even, as low cost carriers like JetBlue and Southwest , and even other majors like Delta have a superior coach product, the premium product on AA is actually pretty great, better than First/Business on the other US legacies. On a 3 hour US Airways flight, the stewardess waves that ridiculous Snack Basket in front of every first class passenger with an assortment of cookies, chips, crackers, etc. and that was the extent of the food service in FIRST on North American flights on US Airways. If you fly on a 5 or 6 hour flight, you will be asked by the flight attendant <Salad or Sandwich?>

In comparison, even a 2 hour flight on AA they will start out with drinks all around and warm nuts, followed by your meal selection which is always a hot entree with salad, rolls, and dessert and usually its pretty good, along with plenty of wine to go with dinner if you want it.

Another reason the Dominicans like the premium product on AA is the bagage allowance, Three checked bags per person. Great for shopping for high end clothes, electronics, etc. that are much cheaper in the US than in the DR. So if you plan on bringing a lot of luggage with you, the difference between coach+ bag fees and first class, becomes even less. In January, Tampa - Punta Cana on AA is running $415 in coach, and $775 in business. Check 2 bags each way and the $415 becomes $535

If you fly enough and are loyal to one airline, you can earn elite status and then its easy enough to upgrade if there are empty seats left in the front cabin that have not been sold to First/Business fare paying passengers, which is often the case on US-Caribbean flights

Edited: 29 June 2014, 18:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

Eric, that sounds like flying 1st on Avianca. If you are going to Latin America it's the only way to fly. What's interesting is it is about half the price of Air Canada's prices for their premium product and you get way more. Staff are incredible and friendly. Their coach class is decent too. They still have a proper meal and open bar with limited choices. Beer, rum, vodka for scum class. Imagine that in this day and age.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

Eric, I have to disagree about USAirways. We always fly first class from CMH via CLT. It`s a 31/2 hour flight from CLT to PUJ and they always serve us a four course meal. Usually an appetizer, salad, choice of entree and dessert. And lots of drinks!!Flying CLT to CUN they serve a smaller lunch, usually salad and sandwich.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you fly first class or coach?

Depends on the offerings of knives and forks...........do you believe that one?