We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Massillon, OH
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

I posted this message once, but think I did it wrong. So, here goes again.

If you already paid tips in your all inclusive package, should you still tip?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Just do a search

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not required, but it is appreciated, and most people tip, at least those from the USA and Canada.

Mark

carlisle
Level Contributor
943 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Hi were from the uk and yes we do tip. We don't go daft but do tip if people go above the norm. Also we tip the room cleaner and gardners. Hope that's a help. Just do as you feel, but don't for get to smile, say hi and thank you. Hope you have a great holiday.

Babs

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Ha this old chest nut again. Honestly I wouldn't ask because it only goes one way. Numerous threads on here about it. I tip and I'm from the uk. Now..,, I don't tip a lot. Only when people have gone out their way for us, and I mainly tip the people that are kind and friendly. I'm not tipping someone if they work hard but can't crack a smile and don't want to try and talk to us. But then I hear that that's just us Brits! We don't tip like the Americans and Canadians. Tip every tom dick and Harry and get great service. I tip after I've had great service

Thank you

David

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Yupp, search the threads for answers and opinions but do what you feel is best for you. You don't have too but you may want too. This topic is quite controversial and has been going on forever. There is no right or no wrong answer, we all do it the pretty much the same, some do it different.

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Saddle, check the details of your package. Just because it is "All Inclusive" (Which 99% of the packages into Punta Cana are), does not mean it includes tips. Room, food, drinks etc, but not tips.

As noted by others, tipping is personal, but I do not understand those (mainly from Europe) who do not tip on the basis that tipping is not the norm in their home country. When on holiday, I think you need to act according to the policy of the country you are visiting. And in the DR, tipping is certainly acceptable and for some hotel staff, represents the bulk of their income. So yes, bring some tip money.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

BULK of their income? If everyone in hotel tipped the guy $1 a day these staff would earn more than I do a week in a day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Sorry to hear about your financial situation, David. But yes, many staff rely on tips. And FYI, they work 10 or more days straight, 12 hours per day in many cases, and then get 3 days off. So they earn every cent.

If you can afford to go to DR, you can afford a few bucks in tips.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

My financial situation haha, a hotel has what? Minimum 800 guests? He gets a $1 or $2 tip from everyone EVERY day. Sorry but I don't earn $1600 a week. And yes I can afford to tip and will be like I said before.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

But David , one guy is not serving every guest, every day...that is completely unrealistic. Don't begrudge them a tip cause you feel they may have made to many tips that day. Good service staff can and will earn a couple of hundred $ / day because they go above and beyond ( in plenty of countries where tipping occurs)