We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

Houston
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

Well at least for a Saturday. We got in around 3 pm last Saturday and the airport was packed. The line to get a visa was huge and wrapped all the way to the entrance of the airport. I'd guess a good hour wait, then the line to present the visa was about half that length. We took the line to the right and bypassed it. But it' seemed like such chaos and people were all over. I am wondering if that is a normal Saturday, or If the airport has outgrown itself. Took us about an hour to get through id say in total. Longer if we hadn't prepaid for our visas. Just thought I'd pass along :). We left yesterday and the immigration line was huge but went by pretty quickly. Security was nearly empty; everyone was in the immigration line.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

I think this airport has outgrown itself and I think sometimes it's just timing.

Last winter we arrived at the same time as HUGE plane from Russia and it was crazy. part of that was that the arriving Russians had not been given the immigration paperwork on the plane and were trying to figure that out (I felt for them. It's HOT, HUMID, they are exhausted and there was NOTHING even remotely Cryillic about that form. It would have been nice if the airline had done this in flight and had some "translation" assistance) I am sure it was just as crazy trying to buy the tourist card etc... We had purchased in advance, but...

However, if you leave on a busy day you can see security REALLY backed up too and then the waiting area is way way overpacked.

I was told by a Delta pilot that the airport is way over capacity but the owners just keep saying "yes" to get the landing fees. (He seemed to really dislike the airport, loved the country however!) No idea if he really knew what he was talking about but it makes sense.

Houston
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

I saw some construction by the airport that I was hoping was a new terminal, but I doubt it :(

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

New terminal...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2014/4/15/5117…

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

Last time we arrived in March 2014. I felt the lines were extremely long. I wished I did my prepaid $10 ahead of time. I wouldn't make that mistake again. Ps we arrived on a monday.

6. Re: Buy your visa online if traveling on weekends.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:16