We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

I have traveled from Chicago to Punta Cana with a box or two of granola bars before and packets of peanuts and was stopped by customs at PUJ. They hassled me about my snacks but let me keep them. I am leaving for punta cana on july 16th for my wedding and I am bringing lots of snacks (granola bars, fruit snacks and mints), advil, alka seltzer, chapstick etc for the guests welcome bags (40 ppl total). The snacks may have to go in the carry on and I am wondering if they will take them away in customs? Anyone know the rules? I would hate for them to take everything. Other option is to put it in checked luggage but prefer carry on. Thanks for the help!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

That's a lot of "stuff" for a carry on. Why hassle? Put it in checked luggage. Dry snacks are usually OK in a carry-on, but for that amount, you could expect some hassling. Will your carry-on conform to size?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

I don't see why a carry on full of snacks is a problem? Our family usually has 2 maxed out with snacks,treats etc,,,, so they don't get crushed,,,,, chips etc,,,, check with your airline,,,, never had one problem!!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

Enough snacks for 40 people? In a carry-on?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
863 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

We flew Frontier and they announced to us to throw out any open snacks we had or else they will confiscate them at customs on arrival. They said any food unlabeled would be confiscated also - like a lady on our plane had a bag with sandwiches, cheese and crackers that she was complaining about having to throw out. So anyway - I had a large ziplock of chex mix that I had in my carry on and I never got stopped. This was the first time I have heard an airline announce this going to the Caribbean. No idea if this is really a rule or not.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 18:18
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

Where do you guys stay where they don't provide snacks/food? or do you have a very long flight with no snacks/food available?

Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

I, too, flew Frontier in May and it was announced as well, but I think things like cheese, nuts, fruits, vegetables, and the usual that you are not to bring in were mentioned. I had unmarked candy in bags and opened crackers and chips and did not have a problem bringing them in. I am going back in a couple weeks again and will listen more closely for this announcement and report back.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
863 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

For us, it's a flight (4.5 hrs) with no snacks available (I'm too cheap to purchase at their prices), so I like to have a few snacks for the kids. Just remembering this - the lady with the sandwiches also had pickles in a ziploc -- too funny - and she was offering them up for other people so she could get rid of them! :-)

Edited: 11 July 2014, 18:33
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

Fly Frontier since they took over for USA3000 and never, at least 8 times now in 2 yrs, out of Philly to PUJ ever was told what to eat/ bring/ leave behind.

When in doubt, put in checked luggage.

9. Re: Traveling with snacks through Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:17