We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi sim cards

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rayleigh Essex UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
WiFi sim cards

Just returned from SRB you are now unable to purchase sim cards from Claro or Orange for phones or internet for the duration of your holiday from Punta Cana stores, was informed of this by my travel rep but went to the stores in Punta Real and San Juan shopping malls to try, informed by the stores that they are only available to Dominican residents now,you have to have Dominican passport or ID to get one, hotel rates are expensive SRB no free internet, you have to buy time from them, so I think you are best to try one of the companies that supply airport transfers with sim packages.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WiFi sim cards

Did you speak to the store manager of Orange shop in front area of the San Juan shopping mall? We left in March after having a SIM put in our phone for a 3 month limited period (we were there for 2 months) for a Pay As You Go contract. We took along along our Passports and everything went through as normal.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 10:38
Rayleigh Essex UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WiFi sim cards

Hi gunnrunner

Did not speak to the manager but was told by store people and other people that they have changed the policy for sim cards now, so it is only available for PAYG sim cards for Dominican residence from now on

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WiFi sim cards

Are you saying there is no SIM cards available for visitors is PAYGO? You must speak to the Manager of the shop and bring passport.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 10:57
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WiFi sim cards

It looks like I will need to contact my friendly condo rental manager to get the latest details on this. Will post back later.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WiFi sim cards

I have just answered GunRunner privately-but this is not true-I have just had to go through the process of verifying that all my PAYG sim numbers are still registered to me. Some are registered to my UK Passport, some are registered to my DR Residence Card. I have a variety of sim cards and internets registered to me, for my condos. If anyone is not here in the country to be able to verify, then their number is cut off, they did this in 2009 in Spain, partly because of terrorism, but I suspect, that it is also because they need to lower the numbers....I only deal with the main Orange Office in the San JUan Centre, I have in the past tried to deal with Palma Real and other offices, and it is slow and painful like drawing teeth - and I speak spanish!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WiFi sim cards

So if you don't previously have a SIM card are you able to get a new one if you are a visitor?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: WiFi sim cards

Thanks Liz. I have sent you another email to ask for clarification to one of your answers.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: WiFi sim cards

JoHendo

We did not have a DR SIM card before the last visit.

I have got my email reply from Liz, so I will be doing the same again in 2015 as I did in 2014.

My wife and I took our mobiles along to the Orange shop (my records show Vodafone so it may have been them) in front of the San Juan Shopping Centre and obtained PAYG SIM cards for both of them. My wife hardly used hers because it was meant as an emergency one. Mine was only used occasionally. The total cost was 800 pesos for both. This was for a basic sim WITHOUT DATA because we had Wifi in the Condo. From what I remember, the Cost of the SIM card (both) was approximately 300 pesos, the other 500 pesos was for possible calls. We did not use the full amount and knew they would expire after 3 months. We disposed of the SIM cards on return to the UK.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WiFi sim cards

Gunrunner we picked up a cheap cell at San Juan this year ...still have it but obviously sim will have expired ..so wondering will we be able to get new sim/ or another cheap payg cell.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WiFi sim cards

JoHendo

If the SIM is replaceable (slides out) then a new SIM card should do it. As soon as you present it in the shop they put a new one in and activate the SIM card in the phone. This locks (has verification code and other stuff) the SIM to the phone as I remember. They go through several tests to ensure that it works. With ours they carried out tests between both Samsung S2's and off we went. Job done.

It only takes a few minutes. Watched it several times as my Granddaughter is a UK Vodafone store manager.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 19:30