We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked direct with British Airways

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Booked direct with British Airways

This is a first for me rather than using a travel agent I have booked direct with British Airways Holidays, staying at Barcelo Bavaro Beach

Has anyone booked direct with them? How does it differ from using an agent? Will there be a rep in resort? Sorry if these are silly questions. All info and advice welcome.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 11:10
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

I have booked with BA direct and through an agent. There is no difference if you book with a travel agent except that some travel agents will accept a credit card with no surcharge whilst BA charge for that privilege. I speak from experience because for my 2014 flight I flew with BA on the old flight that stopped at Antigua and then continued on to Punta Cana.

In April this year whilst booking a return trip to Colorado, I asked Trailfinders in Oxford if there was any benefit of booking with them and I was advised of no charge credit card facility with them. On checking with BA and I found the price was within 50 pence, so I went with trailfinders to get the Sainsbury points and to save the BA credit card surcharge.

I hope I have not made this sound over complicated. If I have, please send me a PM. By the way you will still get the same booking reference via the agent as you would from BA thereby allowing you to save seats or even upgrade to Premium Economy.

There is no rep as far as I know but go into a condo for 2 months. Did you book a complete package? If so then I would have thought some one might represent them at the airport and at the hotel. You might want to follow this up. If not it is very simple and I can tell you what to do. Do you have transport arranged? Paid for? Ask BA if not sure?

Edited: 09 July 2014, 11:49
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

Hi GunRunner

I have also flown this year with BA on the Antigua/Punta Cana flight, alighting in Antigua. So much better that they will be flying direct to Punta Cana from November, I don't think I would have booked otherwise as the journey would be just to long for 10 nights, we have a 5 hour drive to Gatwick too.

No Credit Card surcharge with BA when I booked and made subsequent payments and the travel agent couldn't come close to the price £400 more as BA have/had a seat sale on.

Yes we booked a complete package, flight, hotel and transfers.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 12:18
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

I was talking about the cost of flights only. They will credit card surcharge for that part only if not in a package. I am flying direct again this time in January 2015 and returning March 2015, with flights direct to PC on the new non stop service. I booked in March this year to ensure I had the flights I wanted. I am quite a frequent traveler, so I can see they (BA) make a big profit by offering the complete package (they get special rates for AI pack), so no need for surcharge.

Enjoy your holiday.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

Thank you GunRunner for your advise and information, I will enjoy my holiday.

SURREY,UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

We have used BA for our last four trips to Punta Cana.

If you have booked the complete package the transfers are with Amstar .

We stay at the Excellence and an Amstar rep was there daily to book trips etc and to confirm your transfer pick up times home.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

Thank you MG_MAN2013. We have also got transferees booked with Amstar. Are they reliable? Is there a good chance of their rep been in our hotel too?

SURREY,UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

DerbyshireRedcat

We have never had a problem with them . They will give you a welcome letter telling you the time of the welcome meeting the next day at your hotel and it usually tells you the times they are available at the hotel and emergency contact numbers etc.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

Excellent, thank you

Enfield
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

I booked a first package with ba this year and would do it again no question. Interesting that you mention abou them flying direct to punta cana from November. It is from then that First Choice/Thomson are doing free drinks for everyone on the flight.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
323 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked direct with British Airways

Beachbaby2 did you book your hotel transfers with BA too?