We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Hi ALL,

My BF and I booked a trip to Cata Royal in Oct. I am having mix feeling about it now due to all the negative and positive review like the Moldy room and nasty food. I know it all about preference and this is my first time to Punta Cana so i am excited and scare LOL.

Here are some of my Questions:

1.How do we get to the hotel from the airport? shuttle? private car (what company)? any suggestion?

2. we booked a superior suit, might want to update, it is cheaper to update at the resort?

3. is there anyone to watch our belonging on the beach? (clothes, camera, wallet)

4. any recommendation for restaurant to eat at?

5. where do we go for snorkeling? the family side or at cat royal?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Amanda

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Welcome to the forums!

Take a taxi from/to the airport. Short trip.

Upgrades are subject to availability at check-in and are not always cheaper than purching that category from your tour operator ahead of time.

No one is there to watch your belongings on the beach.

Thalassa and Mikado were our two dinner-time favorites.

Snorkeling opportunities are directly off the entire resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Best way to get to the hotel is just grab a cab. It's only a 15 -20 min drive and about $30 each way for up to 4 persons.

Wait and see what room you get when you arrive. If you don't like it you can upgrade then.

There is no one to watch your belongings on the beach. Take a nice deep beach bag and keep stuff out of sight. I've never had a problem.

Try to eat most meals on the Royal side. Most complaints are about the restaurants on the other side. The food at an all inclusive in DR will not be the same as home. I found most of my meals quite good. I definitely never went hungry and always gained weight.

The best snorkelling is right in front and to the right facing the sea at Royal beach.

Your enjoyment will depend on your attitude going in. Remember where you are. Some reviewers seem to approach their vacation with false preconceived ideas. Never act uppity and talk down to staff. I've seen this happen. They work hard and try their best. Treat them badly and you'll get it back. Cat Royal is not a 5 star resort by North American standards. The price tag reflects that.

Go enjoy yourself and stop worrying. :-)

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

We know what we pay for, it don't expect to be treated like ROYAL going there. we just want to be safe and enjoy our little vacation!

i did found a private car company that charge $54 per car for round trip it not bad I forgot the name but will look it up later. If taxi is only $30 1 trip we might just do that!

will bring a backpack/beach bag to hold our stuff. We wont bring any valuable there maybe just a phone for photos. Do we need to bring our ID with us to get drink? or can we just leave it in the room?

we are celebrating our 7th year together so we want to do something special there any suggestion?

any one try their spa? what are the price range?

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

you do not need an ID to get anything at the resort. You will be wearing a resort bracelet so they will know you are staying there. We have booked our 10th and 11th trip to this resort, and I am a little picky on my food (don`t eat much meat) and I always find something to enjoy. Agree with marg, I don`t like the food on the family side, eat mainly at the Sea Blue,, and Thallassa. Also, they have wonderful pizza at the pizza cafe by the pool

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Hello Amanda,

I haven't booked, yet, but I believe this was our final choice. If I do book here - I'll be there next month and can definitely check things out and let you know.

I heard taxi was the best deal, too. We will take a taxi when we go.

Apparently the deluxe suites are newer and nicer - esp, shower area. .. from what I could tell and closer to the beach.

Recent review talks about one of the buildings flooding - I wonder what happened.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Oh do let me know if you decided to book here. We picked the superior room Cuz it was on sale and we are a bit on budget. But if it mean a bit newer I might upgrade!

So basically what you bring to the pool/beach just sunscreen, phone/camera and some tipping money :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Make sure to keep all your ID and money, except for a little tip money, locked in your safe at all times.

I hope I didn't insult you. Too many seem to book this hotel with the idea they are going to be staying at the Ritz. Hence why I caution folks.

A big smile, a handshake and a thank you go over big with the staff. You might be surprised how well you are treated and you will feel very royal.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

@Margadogio not at all, i am just trying to see what I should be prepare for, never been in a allinclusive resort before, I do travel outside of the country just not to Punta cana yet! lol

9. Re: About Catalonia Royal Bavaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16