We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive or Nahh?

Missouri City...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All Inclusive or Nahh?

I am a member of Club Melia and will be taking a vacation in August 2014 with my husband to the Paradisus Punta Cana. We do not want to pay the all inclusive fee all 7 days and was wondering if anyone has ever stayed without the all inclusive. If so, how much did you pay to eat and drink, did you bring any food along with you, and did you ever adventure outside of the resort to eat? Any information will help!! Thanks

Edited: 11 July 2014, 22:35
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

Never imagined going to an AI, and not using the package or paying for AI food as you go. AI food is in my opinion "cooking for the masses" and eatable but if not paying for the package why bother going to an all inclusive at all? There would surely be better options for sit down dinners. Somewhere the chef caters to you and a handful of guests, not masses on a buffet?

Here's the link to maps of the area so you can see whats out there, either close or by cab:

http://puntacanatv.com/maps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

Generally speaking going AI is better value and less expensive at the end of the day than not going AI. Especially if you are planning on consuming alcoholic beverages - or any beverage. You may be shocked that the price of a coke is the same as the local beer.

Before you decide I would suggest that you contact the hotel and get copies of their menus and prices and then calculate what it will cost you to eat and drink for the week as compared to the AI price.

The reason we have never joined these hotel/resort clubs, is that in our calculations it has always worked out that we can go to the same resort with an AI package (flight, hotel AI) far less than if we joined the club and had to pay our hotel and flights separately.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

I should say however, that if one plans to spend very little time on the resort for meals, then yes probably it is advisable NOT to go the AI route.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

Club Melia members receive a substantial discount off the cost of the all-inclusive plan here. And while as a member, their AI plan is not mandatory for you - like it is with some other vacation club/time share exchange programs - this resort is quite costly to purchase meals and beverages on a non-inclusive "European Plan" basis, especially as taxes and gratuities are added separately.

Recent $US price examples: $20 per person/per meal at the buffet venues. A la carte venues begin at $30 per person/per meal. Beer/wine/cocktails begin at $6 per serving.

You will pay significantly more to go off-site to dine if you need to add round-trip taxi costs.

Missouri City...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

Thank you to everyone for your great advice! It's been very helpful. I'm still not sure exactly what we will do but this puts things into perspective.

6. Re: All Inclusive or Nahh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16