We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

money?I have never stayed anywhere where I did this and was curious---I can see it working for parents with little children,but since mine are teenagers I don't think I need it...what are the benefits except for access to a bali bed,specific sections on the beach,or having reservations made for you?thanks

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

Which resort are you referring to?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

not any specific resort...just talking in general!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

many resorts do not require any reservations at all and also provide the Bali Beds or such for all guests for free all the time, so no extra service/extra money necessary to get such.

it is different from resort to resort. some seem "cheaper on first view but then ad up for every single thing you would like to enjoy, some very few even charge a hefty extra fee for the consumption of simple Caribbean Lobster. while others may have a slightly higher basic price for the package but on the other hand do already include lobster, balibeds, good brands liqueurs and all without requiring any reservations or extra hassles to enjoy all such, so at the end they are maybe even better priced than the cheaper looking places. i am myself not a fan of the confusing named priviledged club unlimited luxury extra vip section named ""upgrades"". all inclusive has to be all inclusive on those grounds, and not a basic package but for many things you have to upgrade to an other all inclusive. i understand price differences on different room categories, as some need just a double room while others want a large family suite etc etc, here it is o.k. to differ, but on the services available on the grounds i am a full enemy of the confusing different names and offers for simple things, like beeing entitled to use a Balibed or a specific part of the small beacharea or eating local lobster etc etc.

Mike

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

The amenities offered at the upgraded preferred or priviledged sections vary substantially by resort. It's not just help with dining reservations or a special section on the beach. Generally, some offer additional nights of specialty dining. Some offer prime room locations. Some offer accomodations with more-deluxe furnishings and/or in-room amenities. It all depends upon the resort complex.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

thanks for your responses!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

Sometimes the Club, Preferred, etc. options are adult only sections. That can be worth it to some. Sometimes, you get premium liquor, whereas otherwise you don't. Sometimes, you can eat at more restaurants. As mentioned by others, it varies quite a bit.

I think in some cases, by the time you pay for the upgrade, you might as well have gone to a superior resort that includes these things by default. And don't forget miscellaneous extra charges for things like wifi, room safe, room service, lobster, etc. These can add up.

Mark

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

Excellent point Mark!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

When I price out resorts I always include in all the extras so I am comparing apples to apples. But I agree Mark alot of people don't. We know what's included with the Club section at the Majestic Elegance and it is what we want - a quiet adult only section. But if I was looking for more action and would be spending most of my time at the main active pool I don't think I would bother. You have to read what each upgrade offers and ask if it is what you want form your vacation. Only you can decide that for yourself.

9. Re: Preferred and Privlege??? Is it really worth the extra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:17