We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Cana Airport

Can someone tell me about the airport in Punta Cana. Is it small? Large? Do you have to take an elevator in the airport, or are there stairs? Thanks! Silly, but I hate elevators.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Super small, 4 gates per side. I'm not sure I saw any elevators, but a few flights of stairs and ramps, you should be all set.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Airport

No elevators needed... not even sure there is one there. I've taken escalators at airports but never elevators. Interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Airport

It's not big. There might be 6 or 7 planes there at one time, if it's busy. You exit the plane onto the tarmac, and either walk to arrivals, or are taken in a bus / tram. Arrivals is open air, with a thatch roof. When you enter the terminal, there's a line (often quite long) for buying the $10 tourist card. If you have pre-purchased it, then you veer to the right, down along the wall, and straight to immigrations, avoiding that long line. That's where you hand in the blue immigrations form, and get your passports stamped.

After that, you go to the gate where your luggage will be delivered. It usually doesn't take long. Once you have your luggage, you proceed toward the transportation area. There will be porters wanting to take your bags for you. Your choice. I don't, but lots of people like it. On the way, they may or may not scan your luggage, and collect the white customs form. If you already have transfers arranged, then you can find them there. If not, look for the guys in the pink or beige shirts. These are the authorized taxi companies. Prices are preset and posted. It's all pretty quick as airports go, but it depends on how many people are arriving at that time. In June, we went through there lickity split.

No elevators or stairs necessary.

Coming back, you'll be dropped off at an open air check-in counter for your airline. Then you hit a line, which either has girls taking photos, or someone checking your passports. Then on to customs, and security, then on to the terminal. There are two terminals, and they are connected, so you can go back and forth. One is enclosed, and air conditioned. The other is open air. There's a food court, shops, duty free, etc.

Mark

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get a sense for how long it takes to go through. I know that it obviously can vary, but for those who have been several times, what do you typically expect? I've been through the Cancun airport several times. How does it compare in terms of size and time to get through?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Way smalller, more tropical than Cancun. Both were easy to get through though... just different.

Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Thanks....So you sometimes are required to ride a bus from the tarmac to the airport?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Yeah, for a few hundred feet.

Mark

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Airport

There are now 10 gates there

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Airport

Although they were there in May... someone said the photo "ladies" are now gone (yayyyy)

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Airport

We are going back at the end of September and will look forward to NOT seeing the "photo ladies" if that is true.......I second your "yayyyyyyy" Deb!