We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

Hello,

We are celebrating our 15th anniversary with a trip to Punta Cana. We are in our mid 40's and this is a rare vacation without the kids. Thought we had decided on the Royal Service at Paradisus Punta Cana but have now found a deal for less than $200 difference for the Excellence Club at Excellence. Please help make the decision easier!

Important to us:

-Great beach, white sand and some waves for boogie boarding would be nice

-Good food (Lobster)

-Night life, we aren't going to be up partying all night but like to hear some music and have a few drinks

-Nice accommodations, doesn't have to be luxurious, don't really care for modern style

Also, can you be out on the beach at night at either resort? We stayed in Mexcio at an all-inclusive and it was so dark we couldn't see each other!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

I've stayed at both, and I'd take Excellence without Club over Paradisus with Royal Service. More a la carte restaurants, no reservations, and better food, in my opinion. Better service on the beach and by the pool as well. All you can eat lobster at The Lobster House. The sand is more of a light tan at Excellence, and whiter at Paradisus. The water is calmer at Paradisus. Good for boogie boarding at Excellence. Both have nice beaches. The Excellence beach is bigger and less crowded. Both have bars by the beach, so the area immediately around them would be somewhat lit. At Excellence the live bands play in the courtyard by the beach at night. Both are tropical - not modern. Paradisus is a much bigger property. Excellence is adult only.

I liked Paradisus, but I really don't like the restaurant reservation system.

Mark

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I read in another post that the beach at Excellence can be really rough and not good for swimming. We will spend most of the day on the beach. We like to boogie board but also like to lounge in the water. Is this possible at either resort?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

Definitely Excellence Club if you are comparing it to the original Paradisus Punta Cana Royal Service section. If it were their newer Palma Real property, it might be a toss-up. At either Paradisus, you can laze in the water, and yes, certain times of year the surf at Excellence can be quite vigorous.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

The water in front of Excellence is not for lounging. It breaks about 80 feet out. It's fairly calm until then, but then it can get pretty rough. When I was there a month ago, the waves were only about 12 to 18 inches, but I've seen them much bigger. There is a calm area to the right of the resort where some people go to swim and snorkel, but it's not part of the resort. We go in the ocean for fun, and do our lounging in the lazy river pool, which runs along the edge of the beach.

Mark

5. Re: Excellence Club or Paradisus Punta Cana Royal service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:15