We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

upstate new york
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

I booked a private transfer from the airport to resort. The transfer company sent me an email stating that they just found out that tourist cards could be purchased ahead of time with a link below stating I could wait up to 30minutes or more at the airport for card purchase.

Has anyone done this? Is it necessary? Has anyone used this link?

https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Many have done this, not necessary but will save you time upon landing. You will be able to bypass the line of people waiting to buy it.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

9 out of 10 times you'll still be waiting for your checked luggage but yes, it does save you from the one line.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Best advice I've gotten was to purchase tourist cards beforehand. It saved me about an hour of out time. Two planes arrived at the same time! Highly recommend it!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Look at it this way - pretty much your entire plane will be in that line and depending when you disembark there will already be people in front of you... makes sense to just buy it online :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Bought ours online - avoided the long line. Still had to wait for luggage, but avoided the one line. I would defintely buy online!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

harleygal, Definitely DO purchase your Tourist cards online, get your luggage, and stay to the right, bypassing the Long line of people that will be paying for theirs in person. Will save you at least a half hour, or longer is another plane load of people are in front of You. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Hi harleygal

You hand in your prepaid tourist card BEFORE you go through immigration and BEFORE you get your luggage off the carousel. It's very uncomplicated , it's an easy airport to negotiate.

That's the correct website you have. Just print out from the PDF that's sent to your inbox. Dosnt matter if you leave it as A4 or cut to size. They accept both with hardly a glance!!

Have a good trip.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 07:47
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Considering this has been a known process for my last 2 December trips I would be more concered that the transfer company just found out. Does not inspire confidence IMHO

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

Does anyone know if they put your names on the cards? I would like to purchase 2 for my son & his girlfriend but the credit card name would be different it would be under my name & I am not going with them.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing tourist card ahead of time via the web

cathie,

go ahead and purchase - no names or info on the cards just really a piece of paper with a bar code... only personal info you have to give is credit card details / name / etc ... can be anyones card / info.. doesnt matter