We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

Emerald Isle, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

My husband and I are planning a trip in August to the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Punta Cana. I was wondering in the room do they stock any top shelf alcohol? I also read on their website that there is a surcharge on alcohol. We have been torn between the Excellence and Ambar but I didn't know if premium drinks were included. Please let me know if you have stayed here and what was included in the price and also what is in your room. I myself love good wine and didn't know if that was a problem with having that in room as well.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

post 1 on link below is the drink menu

tripadvisor.ca/…53195851

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

Excellence will give you anything in your room that you want. Have never seen that at any other DR resort.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

Ambar mini fridge in room used to be stocked with 3 or 4 mini bottles of liquor (vodka,rum, etc), some beer, water, soda's.. Destination expert Brooklin will likely post the updated info.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

you cant compare them.

the Excellence is several levels above the Ambar section of the Bahia Principe Resort.

at Excellence you get real all inclusive, it includes all the top shelf liqueurs without restrictions, you also get all that stuff on your room at Excellence.

if Excellence fits your budget, do not look downwards on Ambar.

have fun

Mike

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

Everything is included in the Excellence. Alcohol at bars: Absolut, Stoli, Johnnie Walker Black, Tangueray, Bombay, Brugal, Dewars, Frangelico, Bailey's Jose Cuervo. Hopefully you get the point. Beers were Presidente, Coors, Corona, Bud Light. The wines I can't help with names or quality. In my room last visit Absolut, Ron Barceló Rum, Wine?, Dewars , Presidente - none of which we opened as there was plenty at the bar and couldn't think of having more in my room.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

I always felt like they were holding back on me with the liquor at Ambar. They promote top shelf, but stock what I would call mid-shelf, and if you dont ask for it you get bottom shelf. Weak drinks at that. I always had to ask for doubles.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

dj-dale,

you are absolutely right, but that's not just Bahia Ambar specific, it is the case at all those numerous mid - lower class pricerange all inclusive resorts. if every guest would get served good vodca or johnnie walker black 24/7, how could they pay for the drinks alone on the cheap AI deals sold, and in addition they also have to provide food and room and pay some employees to serve all that.,

unless you pay 1-2Grand per night, don't await top shelf with real champagne or top wines.

at average low budgeted resorts like the mentioned Ambar you have to ask for the better brand and get it, til it runs out at that specific bar, do not await that it get's restocked at the same bar within the hour or even the same day. it looks nice on overdone Unlimited Luxury All Inclusive offered promotions to mention the top brands, but a simple math of costs shows that it is impossible to serve that 24/7 to all guests at resorts where packages run for around just $2.000.- per person with the flights and taxes and transfers etc already in that included. it does not leave for a bottle Johhnie Walker Black per person per day, that would cost for that bottle more than such resort has as the drink budget for 24hrs per person.

Excellence is fantastic on their offers, they are a top of the line property with their inclusions and provided services.

Mike

8. Re: Questions concerning alcohol at Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15