We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaics verses Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belding
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaics verses Punta Cana

We stayed at Couples Negril and loved the small, personal feel. Debating on going back or trying Dominican. We don't want a huge resort and prefer adults only, all inclusive, with great beach. Does anything compare in Punta Cans?

manchester
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

Just back from my first punta cana holiday , loved the place, we stayed at the riu palace macao which is very good and is adults only . The beach front is awesome, I also love negril although I have never stayed at couples.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

Hi

We have stayed at Couples Negril and had a great time there

You may want to check out the likes of Excellence Punta Cana but please note although it does have a great beach the ocean is more for playing in than swimming due to the wave action

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

While I did not stay at Couples, we were in Negril and had a wonderful time. The only thing spoiling it was everyone trying to sell us drugs! That and in town seeing armed guards by the banks really did make me nervous. The Jamaican people were wonderful, warm and hospitable and I would still consider returning one day.

Still, the DR is our second home and we could not help but miss the DR and compare it to Jamaica, and find it was a better fit for us.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is a darker element to the DR (every paradise has it's bad side) but I felt uncomfortable with it being so in the open.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

We have stayed at the smaller, intimate Punta Cana Princess and have Couples Negril booked due to its similarity of size and recommendations from people who have stayed at both.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

We've never stayed at Couples Negril but have stayed at Couples Swept Away and Couples Sans Souci and have also stayed at a couple of places in the DR. While the DR is okay, we definitely prefer Jamaica and, especially, Couples. Obviously, this is a subjective thing, but in our view the quality of the food and service is much better in Jamaica. We also find the "vibe" of Jamaica more laid back and relaxing. And as for beaches, you can't beat Negril.

Laval, Quebec
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

We have stayed at Couples Swept Away (2x) and Couples Negril, loved them both and would return in a heartbeat. We have been to Punta Cana 7x and will be returning in Sept for our 1st time at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro A/O. I agree with Rob & Cathy, the food and the vibe in Jamaica does not compare to Punta Cana.

That being said, you may want to take a look at the Punta Cana Princess all Suites A/O (stand alone) but with access to sister hotels Caribe Club Princess & Tropical Princess (10-15 min walk on beach). This is one of my fav resorts in PC and it was recently renovated - 274 suites, no reservations at à la cartes, beach is a good size in comparison to resort and it is brilliant ! I have holidayed here twice and would return in a heartbeat! Another I would advise to look at is the Barceló Bavaro Beach- 390 rooms, part of (at a distance) the Barceló Bavaro Palace Deluxe (1600 rooms) it is HUGE!. The Barceló BB is very nice with a gorgeous beach, very clean and the food is honest, at times great. We also were at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar; Caribe Club Princess - Ambar: least enjoyed - way too huge and crowed, especially on the beach.

Read a lot of reviews, take a fair amount with a grain of salt, look at it with the glass half full, be respectful and you could have a fabulous time in PC. It's what you make of your time there that will count - Enjoy PC !

Hopefully we'll enjoy the Catalonia Royal Bavaro, we'll be there for 2 weeks in Sept. and meeting up with friends from England for our annual Caribbean reunion - we'll be 3 couples - we're sure to have a great time !

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

We have stayed at Secrets Wild a Orchid in Jamaica and a few different ones in Punta Cana. Breathless in Punta Cana is adults only and on a gorgeous beach. We thought it was similar to SWO in a few ways but Breathless does have the best beach.

Both Punta Cana and Jamaica have wonderful people but there are a couple of areas that Jamaica is preferred in our opinion. In Jamaica English is spoken and there are not any areas of lost in translation. Jamaica has slightly better food and the best jerk chicken ever. Lol.

We love both and will be returning to both.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

Where do u stay in the DR? We have booked Riu Bavarro Palace in September but are having second thoughts due to bad reviews.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana

Where do u stay in the DR? We have booked Riu Bavarro Palace in September but are having second thoughts due to bad reviews.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaics verses Punta Cana