We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican brands and food products

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Dominican brands and food products

I'm curious if anyone can suggest distinctly DR products that we should be on the lookout when grocery shopping. We'll only be there for 1 week but plan on eating 2 meals a day in the condo. I have a very open mind - i'm interested in local snacks, food brands, items I can't get in U.S.

What types of foods do locals bring to enjoy a day at the beach?

Appreciate any info, thanks!

Tina

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican brands and food products

they eat a lot of rice, beans and chicken which is typical dominican foods.... as for the supermarkets they carry sooooo many north american brands and foods.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican brands and food products

I am trying to think of what we saw besides the obvious coffee/ vanilla/rum and honestly most of the brands you will see in the supermarket are I would say US brands. Dominican foods is more focused on fresh produce, rice and beans , tostones etc rather than processed, pre packaged foods. There was a brand of seasoning el cocineros which is labelled as " authentic Dominican seasoning" I really like the green liquid one for using on meats or I mixed with mayo on sandwiches and some other sauce/ seasonings I haven't seen. There was a section with Dominican style candies, fresh meats had some different cuts/ names and more offal than I see in my home supermarket.

Of course I may have completely missed all the Dominican brands , maybe some locals on here could answer.

If we took lunch to beach we usually just grabbed a fresh baguette from the French bakery and made some sandwiches......

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican brands and food products

<<<"What types of foods do locals bring to enjoy a day at the beach?">>>>

In liquid format it comes in a green bottle, Presidentes of course :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican brands and food products

If you go to a large supermarket you will find most imported items have a local cheaper equivalent.

For jams you could try Bon Guava jam .

Local snacks try platanitos - fried platain crisps/chips

Cassva bread - can be used like a cracker with cheese etc.

Dominican salami is certainly different and very popular - best fried.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican brands and food products

Fanta!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican brands and food products

Fanta? for something local try Merengue Soda ~ Tropical Cream Style Soda

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican brands and food products

These are all great! Thank you! Tell me about this salami, sounds yum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican brands and food products

If you like olives (from spain),,,we buy tins of anchovy stuffed olives,, the brand is serpis,, they are really tasty. Cant seem to find them,, in our neck of the woods. Again ,a product from spain, but a nice traveler, to the beach. Bon appetit!

Edited: 24 July 2014, 18:32
9. Re: Dominican brands and food products

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:16