We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

4 posts
Save Topic
Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

If you had only 4 days to getaway and were considering Couples Negril in Jamaica or Excellence Reort in Punta Cana, which would you choose and why? I realize there are a lot of different factors but I just thought I would put it out there since I am so indecisive. I have never been to either island so I am going off of other people's recommendations and impressions.

Thank you,

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

Hi Shannon

Where someone on here may opt to go to either ones may be totally different to your reasoning so we need some idea of the things that are important to YOU!!

Please expand

We have been to both

Edited: 23 July 2014, 21:55
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

Great question.

My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th birthday. We are looking for something relaxing, great service, beautiful beaches, beautiful water, nice pool and swim up bar, great drinks, tropical setting, and a variety of good food. The laid back culture, white sands, and calm water draw me to Negril where as the rooms, service, and remote location draw me to EXcellence Punta Cana. Both resorts almost have the same outside decor and vibe from pictures I have seen.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

The only thing with EPC is the sand is a light brown sugar color and the beach is quite wavy. We, however, like it that way! The remoteness is refreshing to us. :D

wisconsin
Level Contributor
829 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

If you are only going for 4 days, I'd say no to couples Negril. It's a great resort, don't get me wrong! We loved it there but the drive is at least an 90 minutes each way. I think excellence is about 30 minutes. It has great reviews! Another good option for you would be Secrets Royal beach, about 15-20 minutes from the airport. I really love bloody bay in Negril, for it's people and beach. But I could not too it on such a short trip. You lose too much time driving!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

I gotta recommend negril. Been to

All the couples resorts and love them. They have a rustic touch to them which makes the trip seem more tropical and exotic. Very romantic and intimate.

But if u really like hotels with tons of marble and granite that are large and elegant with service that is quick and noethamerican then Punta Cana will probably appeal to u more. The service in Jamaica is very friendly but very laid back. We have no problems with it but many people get annoyed by it.

Holliston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

So overall Couples Negril Or Excellence Punta Cana- going for nine days- wondering if Couples will be boring with restaurants after day five?? Have been to EPunta Cana- loved it- want a place like that resort- need help deciding what chain, ie- Sandals, Secrets, or Couples is most like Excellence!! Please advise! Thank you

Holliston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

So overall Couples Negril Or Excellence Punta Cana- going for nine days- wondering if Couples will be boring with restaurants after day five?? Have been to EPunta Cana- loved it- want a place like that resort- need help deciding what chain, ie- Sandals, Secrets, or Couples is most like Excellence!! Please advise! Thank you

White River...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

couples negril was verrrry quiet. nothing really going on at night except a beach buffet one night. so it depends on what you are looking for. the beach was phenomenal but i didnt get to enjoy it on account of the food poisoning i got from my FIRST MEAL on the island. not the "too much sun/alcohol/coconut/spicy food" thing. i mean full blown food poisoning. They did have a great catamaran cruise to a pirate cave (there were also other catamarans from other resorts). Lots to do in the water. the resort was outdated for the cost. much cheaper and nicer rooms in playa del carmen mexico. will be in PC this weekend, but it sounds like a better value-more bang for your buck.

White River...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

we were bored at night. even when i was feeling better. Just wanted the option to go to a real bar and maybe dance a little. it was a cover band in one of the open air restaurants. that might be your thing. we went in our late 20's before we had kids. a babymoon of sorts. the beach and bloody bay were phenomenal. lots of things to do on the beach during the day.

10. Re: Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2016, 07:16