We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chikungunya

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Chikungunya

Before anyone can tell me, I have read ALL of the topics on this in both this forum and some of the other Carribean forums.

It doesn't seem like a lot of people are concerned about this, but to me I see that there are potential life long effects from catching this virus. My question is, has anyone here canceled their vacation due to this? I have a trip planned in October. On the CDC it is currently a level 1 warning. My fear is that by then it will have gotten much worse and they may advise against travel. Is that likely? I've only traveled out of the country twice so I don't know a lot about how this works and am just very concerned. Also, does anyone know if they are trying to (or if there is even anything) that they are doing outside of the resorts to slow down this virus from spreading? I've spent hours reading online but haven't been able to find answers to those questions.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chikungunya

Think of it as a bad flu and yes some folks do have joint pain for a time after. This is now being found through out the Caribbean and North America (USA) as well. If there are misquotes around the chances are the virus is now around as well.

All the resorts do spray on a regular basis and it is recommended that you use repellent (at least 24%DEET) when out and about. Especially in the early morning and in the evening. If the resort they are also trying to control the situation but this is harder to do, especially in the poorer barrios

Would I cancel my trip....NO Again you will find this everywhere you would travel in the Caribbean, Mexico and the US.

Many of us live here but not living in fear!

BObK

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chikungunya

Do you know what they mean when they say that it can be disabling? I couldn't tell if that meant temporarily or potentially permanently. Some articles sounded one way and some sounded the other.

From what I've read it doesn't seem to be in Mexico or Jamaica yet, but really don't want to go through the hassle of finding somewhere new to stay. I booked my vacation yesterday and remembered I had heard about this afterwards. I can still cancel because I booked by phone thru Apple Vacations and my payment isn't due until tonight, but I looked at the package I chose went up by $500 since last night so re booking if I decide I want to go may not be an option. I'm leaning towards still going, but am just nervous about how much worse it could be in three months.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chikungunya

Leanne,

I share your concerns too as will be there for 2 weeks from 27 September. There's not a lot other than be very diligent on preventing bites at all times. Not just at dusk & evenings but at all times. Don't want to be far from home and struck with anything so debilitating that's for sure. My friend suffers already with Arthritis quite badly so any added longterm problems would not be good.

Resorts will be doing their best I'm sure but I'm afraid we always have to consider things like this when we travel.

Our holiday is a package and our UK tour operator may be able to reschedule our trip if I inquire but at a hefty price to us.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chikungunya

I guess I'm trying to look at is as..It's there and will (I'm assuming) stay there, and I can't imagine never going back to the Dominican so I will have to face it eventually. I know they say it's in the US now but I'm not too concerned where I live because it didn't sound like it can survive in the climate where I live. I may be wrong in thinking that, though.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chikungunya

Forgot to add that number of cases has decreased over the last couple of weeks

BObK

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chikungunya

B0bk,

Is there a specific website that you look on that has that reporting info? Just curious, I'd like to keep myself updated. Every website I found had different numbers even for the same time frame.

By the way, that does make me feel a little better!

Edited: 24 July 2014, 14:55
new york
Level Contributor
293 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chikungunya

I have been debating as well and I'm no stranger to DR. Every year before I go to DR, people ask me what preparations, shots, precautions I'm taking against malaria, cholera,etc and I've never taken anything nor worried about it. These are people that have never traveled to DR and some never traveled anywhere and they are scared of everything. I am not one of those people. These medical problems do exist, sure, but it is more hyped up than anything else for money and to instill fear in people unnecessarily. This chikungunya news, however, affected me a great deal. I have had a history of autoimmune conditions in the arthritis family since I was 4 and have just recently healed myself naturally and have been pain free for 6 months. I have been worried about contracting this and putting myself right back where I was most of my life. It doesn't help that I know several of my friends there contracted it. It also doesn't help that I'm a mosquito magnet no matter what I do. What also scares me is no one really knows the long term effects of this disgusting virus. Only time and experience as people get it will tell. At the same time, I know it is not long before it is widespread in the US so I might as well be in my favorite place in the world and try not to stress it and just take some precautions. By the way, most of the cases in North America are people that have traveled and brought it home from the Caribbean. I know there are a couple of people in Florida who got it without traveling too. So as of now it's not as widespread as it is in DR, but it will get to that point soon enough. So wish us luck. Off to Excellence in the am!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chikungunya

Go and enjoy Michelle. Your post makes a lot of good sense and I wish you well in continued good health

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chikungunya

Michelle,

The friends that you're referring to that contracted it, do they live there or they visted there? Your story reminds me of something else I read, which is that it can trigger chronic illnesses that you carry in your genes. I can't remember the examples of types of illnesses.

Good luck on your trip!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chikungunya

Michelle,

Chikungunya is Not new, as fact the world knows the virus since the 1950's, it is just new to the Caribbean and Northamerica. i would guess that there are somewhere longterm studies hidden, but did not read any myself, yet.

Mike