We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
750 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

Hubby and I are studying now to speak and have conversations in Spanish. Although it was challenging while vacationing at the Palladium we tried hard to learn some familiar phrases from the staff. It was quite entertaining.

We meet a sales rep while touring the Royal suites and she now lives in PC. She's originally from the UK but her Spanish is quite good. I was impressed. She said she's learned to speak it fluently now just by living there for 2 yrs and her boyfriend is Dominican which helps a lot.

Do any of u speak it fluently now?

I would be so thrilled to return to PC and speak it well.

Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
HorsePlay Punta Cana
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Dos Bananas
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

I used to speak it well, but over time, there has been less and less need to do so. I can still read and write it well, but have gotten lazy in the spoken fluency. Most of the people working at resorts speak English. Some may not be as good as others, but they all do speak some English. I have found when I speak Spanish, they start talking a mile a minute, and I'm on vacation, and drinking more than usual. haha Most of the time, there is a give and take of both Spanish and English. Learn phrases and don't worry about fluency. Once I wasn't paying attention to what I was saying and I ordered "Thursdays over easy" instead of "eggs over easy" ( in Spanish). The grill guy and I looked at each other and both started laughing. We both knew what my mistake was. (Jueves vs.huevos).

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

I live here...have a Dominican wife...hardly speak a word...just the basics. I am a slow learner i guess.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
750 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

PCMike. The basics are still better than me Lol!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
750 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

desiwood

When they talk fast it always fascinates me because the Spanish we learn in school is nothing like the native language. I met someone else who speaks it fluently and he told me he learned while living in Miami for 5 years not from a textbook. That's how I want to learn.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

Not a long time , but long stay ( 2 months)... Very basics and trying to improve for our 3 month stay 2015. Thank god those Dominican can put up with our crappy Spanish. Our security guy was awesome at understanding my crappy Spanish/ charades / English.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

I am acctally taken Spanish lessons because of my DR trips!

Been taking weekly lessons for nearly half a year and was going to starts talking lessons in the begining of august but due to an operation I will no longer be able to take those :(

Sush a shame as I find the language difficult but it so much fun to learn new things and put your bran to work.

Favorite spanish word: Grapadora (means stapler ha ha but it just sounds so.... spanish).

Amy

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

Never lived in a Spanish speaking country for more than a few months at a time (though I visit at least 3 or 4 different ones a year.) And I never had it in school, but a two month immersion program in rural Guatemala( with classes) 6 years ago did the trick after years of books, online courses, etc. It's the only thing that really works, especially when it comes to accent and pronunciation. You just have to be surrounded by it and nothing else 24/7 and eventually it will take. At home, since I really won't use it that much here (although I live around lots of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Colombians in this part of the state) I have to continuously immerse myself in it. There are two major national Spanish language networks in the US : Univision and Telemundo. Watch the news in Spanish.. Watch the novelas in Spanish (preferably with no subtitles, but if necessary put on the Spanish subtitles for the hearing impaired- NOT the English subtitles. You won't learn anything that way. You are trying to give your mind a workout.) When you are outside of the Spanish language environment, a few hours a day of this is necessary so you don't lose it. Pretty soon, you'll get into the Spanish language shows and seek them out.

Also keep in mind that even for those who know Spanish, the Dominican accent and dialect (as well as other Caribbean Spanish accents like Cuban and Puerto Rican) can really throw you off. Full of bizarre idioms and the tendency to mash words together and not pronounce consonants. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you have a much harder time understanding a Dominican than you would a Mexican for example.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

JoHendo--You made with laugh about the security guard. I first started to learn Spanish as a kid from walking around with the security guard at a hotel my family was staying at in Puerto Rico.

The Spanish language TV channels is an excellent idea! That way your ears learn to hear. hehe

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
750 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

Eric M.... Great suggestions/tips!!. Thank you! I never thought about the Spanish speaking channels.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 16:11
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long time PC traveler's, just how fluent are you in Spanish?

watch "Barney" on the kid channel,,, it helps with the basics!!