We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about weather next week!

England
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about weather next week!

Seen that there is a tropical cyclone currently developing to the west of Africa...heard on TV it's heading north-west towards caribbean/Florida. Any idea of how bad this might be yet?

We are headed to Punta Cana a week today and I'm worried there might be bad weather or a hurricane....

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about weather next week!

you listened wrong or your TV didn't tell the truth.

there is the possibility of a storm forming (could be a TD already during today) some hundred miles SW of the Cape Verde Islands(that's off the Westshores of Africa). that area of stromy nweather is expected to move WNW'wards on 10-15mphrs which would typically let it miss all caribbean Islands, pass NE of the Virging Islands heading towards the SE shores of the US. but that's a the very loooongshot long range forecast skelleton, the basic of disturbed weather areas popping up out there far away on our East.

the danger areas on the long range forecast would be the northernmost Islands of the Lesser Antilles/Virgin Islands, Bahamas and the SE of theUS-Mainland.

but it is useless to worry about such too far ahead of time.

the Storm should frm during the next 24hrs, to wait til it formed and shows a Direction/heading is the least we have to wait for before assuming anything else.

let's say in 48hrs from now we should see a Path to calculate a Tracking with.

to worry Now about the weather of next week is useless, as the forecasts can and will change several more times til then.

keep an eye on that stormy area and watch it's weather facts, do not listen to the TV hype up media as their info is known to be useless since decades.

happy travels

Mike

Level Contributor
404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about weather next week!

I don't know what people worked about weather would do without you :-)

I will probably be one of them soon lol

Edited: 29 July 2014, 14:54
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about weather next week!

I try not to worry about things over which I have no control. Worrying certainly won't help the situation. Weather's gonna happen, worry or not. Of course we all wish for sunny days and blue skies for our holidays, but having just survived a cloudy, rainy 8 days in Mexico, I'm here to tell you that, while not ideal, it's not that bad, after all.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
725 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about weather next week!

Oceanscape. I read about some unsettling weather a week before my trip July 4th. Guess what? It was BEAUTIFUL! and HOT all 8 days we were there. We had a few summer showers that lasted 10 minutes.

Don't put stock in the weather forecast. Have a great time!!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about weather next week!

I wish it would rain buckets, my garden is dying.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about weather next week!

it was from the beginning not a runner for the caribbean sea, it is a typical positioned and upcoming storm/disturbance which usually is passing somewhere NE of the Virgin Islands/PR towards the Bahamas or even get's fully turned out on Sea up to the graveyard.

a walk along the northshores of DR is within the possibilities, but well to early to take sure bets on the long range tracking scenario.

as for powers, it was almost a TD early today/late last night, but struggles with medium windshear and dry air already injected. it is also wandering over cool waters.

those conditions are forecasted to go better day by day towards the weekend, so development into a Storm/TD is very likely, maybe even a Tropical Storm Force.

it should not arrive at the Islands before friday morning, and that could occure more delayed, too.

IF it walks close enough to the DR Northshores, then some relief from the actual drought conditions would be a positive outcome. on its awaited path til now the suposed to be Storm is not seen as any threat, the opposite, the whole region/NE'ern caribbean is under heavy drought conditions, so for most it is hoped for 93L to grow up a bit and blow around some urgently needed life saving water.

time will tell, in a couple days we will see if and how it develops under less windshear and over warmer waters. actually i don't see the conditions any overly favorable for a Storm, those buggers have hard times around our soil this season.

Mike

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about weather next week!

Hell i heard there was going to be a blizzard there soon...hahahhahaa never trust the weather reports unless they come from the fine people that are there living in it. they know what the weather is. Great info as always Mike!!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about weather next week!

And once again da Fisherman puts out the proverbial weather fires. Gotta love the old grouch *hugs to Fisherman*

And again, very hard to predict the weather in the DR in 24 hrs, never mind a week. It is the tropics and you never know what will go on.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about weather next week!

it is still running below the marginal lattitude of 10 North, on aroun 9.3 North only at the moment. that it shows good organization that far south of the usual Path for Storms in the Tropics shows that it is a strong area. IF it moves northwards and reaches the 11th North and up, that's when the fun begins and such area of disturbed weather shows it's real potentials and paths. as for now it was slowly but steadily drifting southwards, a movement which takes away it's powers and in case it keeps drifting south all night long then i would guess it will just die down there.

in the morning we will see what's up there. it's 1300 miles away from the nearest caribbean islands, lots of stuff can happen to a stormy on such a long ride.

Mike

wisconsin
Level Contributor
820 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about weather next week!

Why worry....if it rains you make the best of it! Hopefully it won't be any big storms! We never experience rain on vacation but this year in Negril it rained some everyday! Didn't stop us.....sometimes we just stayed in the water til it stopped! Lol! The weather at home this summer is so funky, we never know if it will be warm or cold.....but if we are on vacation at least we aren't here! Enjoy....it's an unpredictable year but hopefully we will all enjoy our vacations this year!