We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
762 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

I enjoy reading reviews, good or bad because some are entertaining, others are very informative.

I read countless reviews on the Palladium and the dominican republic and got great tips and suggestions. When it was time to leave I had the info I needed and most importantly the right attitude.

When we arrived to check in we had to wait and we hot, tired and hungry but we instantly changed our attitudes and told my hubby lets go get a drink, relax and cool off. It will all come together. It's our vacation and we are in the DR. It all worked out. Other issues popped up throughout the week but we kept it moving, approached management with the right attitude and got great results.

But what I've come realize since my most recent trip is that although people are very much entitled to their opinions good or bad, when much time is spent on critique of every single aspect of a resort, hotel, cruise ships, etc how much time is actually spent enjoying your vacation?.

Maybe that's why many people are dissatisfied with their vacations. I can certainly understand waiting hrs to check in, long waits at restaurants and bad customer service. Those things could definitely qualify as deal breakers but when it gets extremely picky, there in lies the problem. Your vacation is ruined, by you.

Tripadvisor is one of the greatest resources to planning a successful trip. I haven't been steered wrong yet and I've been reading reviews and planning my trip using this site for many years. But I have also learned that my attitude towards anything will determine the best or worst outcome.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

One's conceptual framework is the deciding factor, which includes personal bias, subjective preferences and expectations. Travel is a subjective experience shaped by expectations and past experiences. The contrast theory of meaning tells us that we will always compare every travel experience to a previous one and judge it against that yard-stick. Therein lies the problem and genesis of the complaints.

We have all heard them [from face-cloth deprivation to small portions at the buffet] and we all in unison roll our collective eyes back and shake our heads. These are all-inclusive vacations for the masses, but some feel that "laying down my hard earned money" entitled him or her to grapes being peeled on demand. Such is an expectation that guarantees failure.

As Steve Winwood wrote, "Roll with it, baby". Be thankful you are alive and healed enough to afford such a luxury that the vast majority cannot. Yes, legitimate complaints should be aired and addressed, but salty ocean water complaints should be taken to the grave.

Life is too short. Follow my rule of 3 "L"'s. Live, love and laugh.

PC

Edited: 30 July 2014, 00:02
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

@ OP and PC:

Once again, as I have (and others) said many times before (and will again) attitude makes up a large portion on how much you will enjoy your vacation (or life). Sounds like both you folks will enjoy yourselves regardless of nearly any circumstance. :D

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

"Face cloth deprivation" LOL Good one, PC.

Mark

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
762 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

pc

Amen!!

connecticut
Level Contributor
601 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

AWESOME PC !! sooooo very true :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
762 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

We didn't have facecloths for 2 days but plenty of hand and bath towels. We made due, had a pleasant talk with management and by day 3 had double the wash cloths we needed.

When we saw the manager on day 4 my hubby gave him a high five and said jokingly "don't let it happen again or you will not get a Michael Jackson autograph". (Inside joke, My hubby was picked as one of the guest at the MJ show with 4 other guys to dance like Mike which was hilarious) and people in the lobby recognized him and started calling him MJ!!

The right attitude sets the tone for everything!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
829 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

Sometimes trips start out bad at the airport prior to departure, and people let the tone for the rest of their vacations! I've seen it happen, and met the people on the way home! It's amazing how they have not stopped complaining since the last time we saw them! I totally agree......it's all in your attitude! Makes me wonder how their lives are at home!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

Good post Louise and wise words PC......my sentiments too.

Embrace the fact we are alive and well and able to be there at all.......... Many don't have the chance.

Don't sweat the small stuff and pack a huge slice of good attitude........ Your experiences will be enhanced for the better.

Happy safe travels :))

Edited: 30 July 2014, 09:26
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

Could not agree more!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The real bottom line of good & bad reviews, do you agree?

I have never had a bad vacation, even when the bus has been late, or had to wait for the room the be ready, or a meal was not perfect. I WAS ON VACATION.....and that's all I remember.