We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your advice

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need your advice

Bonjour,

We will be travelling for the first time to Republic Dominican in March 2015. It will also be the first time we will not be travelling to an Adult Only, AI resorts.

Let me give you a bit of context. We decided we would retire to the Caribbean and we are exploring different island living. We love Jamaica and Mexico but not sure if this would be a place we would like to retire so, DR is our first as a non AI on our list.

We have rented a Villa on a gated community (may want to purchase something similar, less kids) for a week and a Beach condo on Bavaro beach for two weeks so form March 7 to March 28 in Punta Cana. Here is where I am getting a bit concerned, food supply.

1- Where should we purchase food safely? Should there be places to avoid?

2- What are the most see around Punta Cana?

3- I have read in a forum that there was some expat that would take you on a tour ($$). Would you recommend doing that? If so, anyone in mind?

Thanks all in advance

Alex

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your advice

Food is easy, just go to the supermarket and stock up. Plenty of selection and familiar brands. And sure, take a tour, get out and about and see the countryside.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your advice

Thanks RV. I am more concern I think with fresh meat and restaurant food. The handling of the food is what really worries me. I have some family members who will not visit DR because they were sick last two trip and spent most of their vacatiion in bed.

;(

Alex

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your advice

I'm also thinking with 2.3 millions visitors per year, those two familly members do not represent the majority...just want to have a safe trip so I prefer to ask TA Punta Cana experts

Thanks

Alex

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your advice

Where is the condo/ villa you are staying at? There are large supermarkets easily accessible for your fresh foods/ meats etc and many very good/ safe restaurants around LosCorales/ ElCortecito area

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your advice

I have gained about 10 pounds this summer from Aunt's and Grandma's cooking here. I eat plenty of chicken and the pork chops are my favorite. The meats in the supermarket are plenty good. We eat a lot of fresh produce as well as it grows in our yard and is sold nearby.

The biggest thing to worry about is overconsumption. That seems to cause most of the illness at the resorts. Too much booze, pineapple, coconut and sun will do that. Wash your veggies with bottled water, cook meat well and no problemas. Bring along some repellent with deet for the mosquitos and enjoy.

And restaurant food is fine. Dominicans cook good.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 19:16
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your advice

JoHendo,

We have rented a villa at Cocotal Golf for the first week and an oceanfront condo at Costa Atlantica for the following two weeks.

RV429,

You are right ;) I will make sure not to overconsume ;)

Alex

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your advice

Well Palma Real Mall is pretty much across the street from the entrance at CoCotal so the is Super Lama supermarket right there. You might need to jump on the local bus or grab a cab to access the bigger selection of restaurants around LosCorales. Also you mentioned an expat that does tours...you may be referring to puntacana Mike...you need to book his tours online in advance.

Costa Atlantica looks amazing... We stayed across the street from there in Jan/Feb this year and will be back 2015 till March 22 .it is Right on the beach and easy walking distance to many great restuarants including Huracan Cafe( next door), Citrus, DAngelos, Tronco Beach, Danny's Sports Bar,Le Petit Jardin just to name a few.

It is perfectly safe to eat , just make sure as RV said to use bottled water for drinking, preparing food, brushing teeth etc.

Have an amazing time...see you on the beach.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your advice

Add to that list...

Balicana (Thai food)

Nam Nam

L'patisserie French Bakery (If you like pastries and cakes)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need your advice

Thanks all for your response. I know we will have an amazing time. Jo, it is puntacana Mike. I will contact him and book a tour.

Cheers

Alex

I am presently at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica, having a great time.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need your advice

Punta Cana Mike will give you an excellent your, and advice on where to buy your groceries.

He is the real expert when it comes to Punta Cana....