We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - help?!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
8 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon - help?!

First time poster, done a lot of reading :) There's so many resorts to choose from, we can't decide! The travel agent is pushing the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro (one with the sailboat in the pool). Any recommendations? Maybe top 3 and narrow it down from there? the soon-to-be-wife saw some resort on the Bachelor (Paradisus?) but I read some of the reviews and it turned us off a bit.. then theres the Dreams/Secrets/etc.. too many?! Cant decide and need to ASAP :)

I hope im putting this in the right forum because I don't know the dif between "punta cana" and "bavaro".. lol

Getting married in Sept then going on honeymoon for 10 days (maybe cut trip a day short and go to Orlando).. All-inclusive a must, adults-only preferred, the ability to lounge around or adventure out would be great. Early 30's, if that plays a part in anything.

Thanks so much for suggestions!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

Welcome to the forums!

Punta Cana and Bavaro forums are essentially the same. And virtually all resorts are "all-inclusive".

The Iberostar Grand is consistently one of the highest ranked properties and is an adult-only section within a larger complex. Very nice choice as is the Paradisus Palma Real's adult-only Royal Section. Alittle to the north in the Uvero Alto area are the exclusively adult-only (no part of a larger family-friendly complex) Excellence Resort and the new Breathless Resort. Both of which are also great choices.

Here is a link to a regional map to help you visualize locations:

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Have a great time whichever you choose!

San Francisco...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

TravelPro, thanks so much for your response and for the map!

One concern I have about the Iberostar Grand is it may be "too fancy" for us.. sounds weird saying that :) After reading your post, I'm now realizing that I guess theres "Adults-only sections" of resorts.. and "adults-only" resorts, right? Ugh! :) More wrenches in the mix. The "wife" works with kids every day so is pretty adamant about the "no kids" thing.. lol.. Think the bachelorette was at "Paradisus Punta Cana". Is Palma Real better choice?

Good food/options at all of'm? Ability to relax/party at all of'm?

Texted the wife and she said "Just pick one.. as long as theres an escape from kids, I'm fine"

You start reading some of these reviews.. "best hotel ever" x10, then one "worst hotel ever!" throws it off :)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

Welcome to the Forums Joe, IB Grand is always rated very high and is probably very very nice (never been there) you pay for what you get though and the IB grand's price tag made us look elsewhere for our honeymoon last year.

We ended up narrowing it down to The Majestic Elegance and Excellence, and ended up at the ME. We liked it so much we returned a few months ago and plan on going again. The only thing with the ME is that it is roughly half adults only (Elegance Club), where Excellence is 100% adults only. We rarely saw a kid at the ME, but just wanted to let you know. Take a good look at Excellence, they have some awesome suites with private pools that were booked up when wanted to visit. If budget is not much of a concern to you guys, the IB grand would be a great spot too.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

The only two that are completely child free are Excellence Punta Cana and Breathless Punta Cana. These are standalone adult only resorts, not connected to family resorts, and all amenities are adult only.

Excellence has a tropical style / vibe, and Breathless is modern / funky. Both have lots of restaurants, and don't require reservations for dinner.

At Paradisus, the adult only is Royal Service. Most of the amenities are not adult only. Paradisus Palma Real is more upscale than Paradisus Punta Cana, but less tropical. Iberostar Grand Bavaro is top notch, but the glitzy style is not for me. I prefer a more tropical style when I'm in the Caribbean. It's also on a busy stretch of beach with a bunch of mega resorts in a row, so there will be children - just not within the resort itself. Both Paradisus resorts, and Iberostar Grand require reservations for dinner, which is a negative for me.

Dreams is definitely not a place to go if you're looking to avoid children.

Mark

San Francisco...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

These forums are great :) Thanks all for responses/help.

Based on what you said.. I'm going to cut Iberostar Grand out of the running. Sounds too fancy/kids around, reservations, etc.. too much work ;)

So out of Magestic/Excellence/Breathless/Paradisus(2)... are there any concerns with location? i.e. are the beaches the same, good snorkeling, that kinda stuff? Any room concerns? swim out pool attached to room, etc..

Scotland
Level Contributor
579 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

Hey Joe.... Best wishes from Scotland for your fourth coming marriage

I can only speak for the Iberostar Grand Bavaro as we not done palm Real, Secrets ect.

The Grand is a stand alone Adults only, everything self contained, bars, seven restaurants, pools, etc etc ... but you do have full use of the three sist6er hotels (the Bavaro, Punta Cana and Dominica) you can use their facilities, but they can't use the Grand, ie; a totally stand alone hotel with privilages at the others.

Its number one for a reason, great food, top notch alcohol, wine list, the works, it is quieter, but you can head for the Bavaro for more action, then return to the Grand for the tranquillity. there's a massive mix of ages and nationalities their, lots of honeymooners to old codgers, Europeans including Brits (and Scots lol) Americans, Canadians, Brazilians, Australians... ect ect

We're back for the sixth time to the Ib Grand, (12th time to Iberostar Grands round the world and the 34th time to Iberostars, ) so needless to say we're slightly bias.

We're back on September 19th for 11 nights so might see you their...

Meant to say.. too fancy ... they put up with us, compulsory long trousers in the gourmet restaurants is as fancy as it gets, other wise its a great atmosphere...

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

I can't help too much, as my experience is limited compared to Mark and TravelPro but generally PC is not known for good snorkeling unless you get on a boat.

The Swim-out rooms at the ME have a small lawn with, chairs and bali-bed, before the pool, and there is no personal ladder or stairs into the water.

Breathless and Excellence will have more wave action than the Mjestics and Paradisus, if you look at that map TravelPro linked, the more NW you are the bigger the surf.

Scotland
Level Contributor
579 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

MHeath, Still don't get where Iberostar Grand Bavaro is not a "stand alone adults only", yes its along side three other Iberostars, but there is NOTHING shared, The Grand has priviledges at the Bavaro, the Punta Cana and the Dominicana...but their not returned...everything is stand alone, Five bars, seven restaurants, polls, beach, even the theatre.... you do have access to another fifteen restaurants, dozens of bars, pools ect at the other resorts... ...

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

We have been to the Majestic Elegance a couple of times and loved every minute of it. We had also been to the Majestic Colonial and except for the children, liked it a great deal. I, too, work with children and need a child free zone. We had that at the Elegance. The drive from the airport is about 35 minutes. The room we had had a back yard and went out to the pool. It was close to the adults only beach and the Elegance Club lounge. We booked through Costco and couldn't have found a better deal. That said, we are going to try the Paradisus Punta Cana Royal Service next month (again booked through Costco). Hoping for a similar experience. We enjoy long days on the beach and lots of ocean time.

Scotland
Level Contributor
579 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon - help?!

And forgot to mention no KIDS...