We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Dominican Republic

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Dominican Republic

We are thinking of going to the DR next April/May. Is that a good time? We have been to Cancun and loved it there but want to try something different.

We are looking at Punta Cana and Negril. Any suggestions of where to stay or which place would be better?

We are mid 60's and like to relax and my husband likes to drink beer. Would like a nice pool area/beach. Pool bar. Good food would be a plus and would also like some sort of entertainment in the evenings after dinner. We will be doing all inclusive. Entertainment not so much clubs, but maybe some type of shows. Total, including airfare, would like to stay under $4000 for two for 7or 8 nights, if possible. Also want to do some sightseeing since we have never been to the area. We prefer more casual resorts where it is not necessary to dress fancy for dinner. But, don't mind the occasional "long pants for men" type of restaurants. No reservations would be nice but also not a deal breaker. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

Also, would there possibly be another place in DR, besides Punta Cana, that would be another good place to visit? As for Negril, Jamaica, we are also looking at Ocho Rios. But, right now we are leaning towards DR so that is why I posted here first. Thanks...

wisconsin
Level Contributor
828 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

You will have lots of good choices. We love secrets royal beach. Nice evening entertainment in the outdoor plaza at night. Very clean, good food and drinks, wonderful staff, and not huge! It is adult only but you can use all of the facilities next door at the NOW. We love it over there too, but prefer SRB! If going to Negril, I recommend staying in a hotel on Bloody Bay! The beaches are much nicer in Negril than Ocho Rios or Runaway Bay! We also felt the people were nicer! I love Negril and Punta Cana, so it would be hard for me to tell you which to choose. We go to Punta Cana at least once or twice a year, and a little less to Jamaica, you get a lot more for your money in PC! We can go for 2 weeks and hardly leave the resort except to shop! It's as relaxing or busy as you want it!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
828 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

We only travel April through September and have not had complaints about the weather!

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

Never been to Mexico but have been to the Dominican 5 times. We have stayed at the Bahia and Palladium resorts and like both. May I suggest Punta Cana Princess though....friends of ours have repeat visited this resort and love it. Older resort but smaller and beautiful beach.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

We have gone to Punta Cana 3 times in the last three years. we just booked Gran Bahia Principe Ambar in Oct for the three time. It's the adult only part of a larger resort. Majestic Elegance and Iberostar are our next favorite.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 01:13
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

That is 3 times in the last 12 years

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

Let's try this one last time we have gone to Punta Cana 9 times in the last 12 years and just booked Ambar for the three time for this Oct.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

Thank you all for your quick responses and suggestions. I'm going to start looking at everything now.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

According to Expedia.com, flying out of Nashville in late April / early May, you have quite a few options. I'd recommend an adult only resort. Excellence, Breathless, Secrets, Royal Suites Turquesa, Catalonia Royal Bavaro, and Punta Cana Princess would all be within the budget, and don't require reservations for dinner. Excellence and Breathless have theatres with nightly shows. The others do not, but you can go to a neighbouring / affiliated family resort for that.

Excellence and Breathless are both self-contained, with all amenities adult only, and they have the most restaurants. Excellence has a tropical style / vibe, and Breathless is modern / funky. Breathless has things like foam parties, and a DJ at the pool. Both have live bands in the evening.

Mark

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Dominican Republic

Thanks for more great suggestions. I am looking forward to going to a country that I've never been to before. Very helpful to get suggestions from people who have been there.