We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Bambu

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Bambu

We are staying at the Riu Bambu September 15th - 19th 2014.

I was wondering if there are elevators to get from floor to floor.

Had a BAD ankle injury July 1 and it doesn't look like i'll be 100% for our trip due to complications, and while I've been cleared for travel by my doctors, I want to be totally prepared for anything.

We are debating calling ahead and seeing about a Handicap accessible room, or at least a room on the bottom level.

In general, how was the Bambu for you? Some of the reviews concern us,

Highland Lake...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Bambu

No elevators. Only two levels. We were on the bottom floor. Stayed there last August. Enjoyed our stay. Nightly entertainment needed help. Food- Really liked the lunch buffet. The Italian restaurant was the best, steakhouse was good. They use the lunch buffet at night for the steakhouse. Sports bar is open all night with snacks and is air conditioned. Rooms- we had a very nice room really big, one king bed. Fridge was stocked every other day, but if you need more water they will get it for you. We will be there August 23rd to 30th but staying at Riu Palace Punta Cana . Enjoy you trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Bambu

Thank you so much for the information!

I will have my partner call ahead and ask for a room on the bottom level then. I don't think bopping up and down stairs is in the cards for me this trip.

Appreciate the report on the resort. I cannot wait to Visit the D.R for the first time. Love new places!

wigwam
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Bambu

Hi, we got back on thursday. There are 3 floors in the deluxe rooms with 40 steps and a 5 minute walk from the main area. As for the hotel its poor at best and is being downgraded to a 4t and taken off platinum from october. The food quality is poor but lots of choice and the staff are rude and unhappy. Its currently being used like a spring break hotel by americans. The rooms are nice and the beach beautiful!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Bambu

I appreciate the feed back! Always good to get everyones thoughts.

Going to have my boyfriend give them a call this week.

The resort is fairly cheap, not expecting 4 or 5 star accommodations. We will make the best of whatever is thrown at us!

Thanks for the feedback.

Highland Lake...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Bambu

Megs414 You will enjoy your stay there. Don't like the remarks about Americans. I would never make a comment about another country. Not very nice. We were there for a week and never met a rude employee. Just go and enjoy.

canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Bambu

Megs415... Like your attitude. That's all you have to do...keep your expectations in check. Although everyone's experience is different. We went to this resort this year and had a wonderful stay... The food was decent, our room was very clean and the staff were really good to us I have to say. The reviews are certainly mixed. ( We had a really good price for this hotel when we booked so that was kept in mind as well) But hey... Beach, sun, drinks, food... and not having to do dishes or clean.... We try to make the best of our vacations. If you have any issues, just politely ask for a fix.... Works wonders. HOpe you have a great trip...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Bambu

We have traveled to many places, and have stayed at a Riu Palace in Mexico. Learned a long time ago to just roll with the punches and accept whatever is given to us. If we wanted 5 Star accommodations, we would pay for them. It helps my partner is fluent in Spanish, makes trips to primarily spanish speaking countries much easier for us.

Thanks you BGA4, I agree.

I am glad to hear there are people who had a good stay!

Thanks WesternGirl38! We cannot wait. Are just thankful I was cleared for travel since we had already booked the trip and couldn't get a refund!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Bambu

One more question I'd like to ask...

Does this hotel have companies selling tours in the lobbies? When we were at the Riu Palace in Cabo this was an option and we really liked it since it was easy..

Thanks!

Highland Lake...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Bambu

Yes they do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Bambu

Megs - as someone recovering from a broken ankle, I sympathize with you!

A bit of advice - Many of the floors in the common areas are very slippery when wet. If you are at all unsure on your feet, this could be a problem. I'd recommend you pack some sandals/shoes that you feel very secure walking with. Just a thought.

Glad you mentioned that you got the resort at a good price - you get what you pay for @ Bambu. Enjoy the fabulous beach!