We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

sacramento
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

Hi,

What are some items in Punta Cana Duty free are something we shouldn't forget to get? Thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

I think you will find everything in duty free that you can find cheaper at resort or most definitely at supermarket.

sacramento
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

Thank you!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

agree, buy your rum, t shirts and souvenirs at shops other than duty free. Make sure you get some Larimar for the lady of the house as you can only get it in the Dominican Republic

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

sweetheart sacramento, If you are a cigarette smoker, buy them when landing at the airport, three cartons are $76.00, being a smoker, I bought six cartons (two three carton packs), for $152.00, and packed five cartons into my checked in luggage the night before leaving the resort. If you put them in a carry-on bag, customs may check the contents of that bag, and you will be responsible for pay Federal taxes on all Tobacco products. LeoSue

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

LeoSue, in all my trips, I have never seen a duty-free on arrival at the PC airport. Only on departure. WTH is it?

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

ON one of our trips, on arrival back home, customs did pull apart all of our checked luggage and counted even every loose pack. Still, the duty isn't bad compared to prices in NJ.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

It's in the baggage claim area, Kathryn, after immigrations, and before customs.

Mark

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

I would add that it's a very small duty free. Fraction of the size of the 2 in departures.

I'd also get Dominican coffee. The best brand is "Santo Domingo" coffee. My friends who are coffee drinkers claim it's one of the best coffees.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

The Arrival Duty Free has been there way more than a year already...great place if you want a bottle or cigs for the vacation.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free Punta Cana A-Must buys?

You should buy NOTHING at Duty free in PC either coming or going. It is all much cheaper at the resorts and even cheaper still off the resort.

BObK