We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time off work booked!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Time off work booked!

Just from looking at tripadvisor last night it got me to say screw it time to go back to punta cana.

I've stayed at Bahia Punta Cana 2x but I'm thinking of upgrading to Ambar this time.

What are the benefits of ambar again? Canned beers is one correct? What kind of beer is in the cans? Can you get them by the beach?

Also, was wondering if maybe I should venture out of the bahia resorts? I've stayed at palladium and barcelos in punta cana already but maybe would try some place else like the new royalton?

I walked by the royalton last time and it seemed boring with no action going on? I'm all for the loud music, great drinks, and lots of sun.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time off work booked!

Joeylol,

Have you ever tried an Adult Only resort? why now try the Secrets' resort chain?

Lot younger, so more loud music and lots of drinks

Cheers

Alex

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time off work booked!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm just a little worried about that resort still. Under new ownership right? What was it rated before? Like how much better could it possibly get in that short time?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time off work booked!

I think you're thinking of what was Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana, Joel. It has not been a Secrets for quite a while, and it is under new ownership, and will be undergoing renovations.

Secrets Royal Beach is what Alexandrasks is referring to, along with the other resorts in the AMResorts family, including Dreams, Now, Breathless, and Zoetry.

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time off work booked!

Thanks, so what was the exact name of Secrets Royal Beach before it turned into secrets? Looking at the pictures the pool area looks familiar? Also do you know what area of the beach it is? Like which hotels are beside? Thanks

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time off work booked!

Joel, You will enjoy the Ambar much more than the Punta Cana, the Ambar is mainly couples, and is Adults Only, age of people mid 20's - 60's. A meticulously clean beach, with plenty of "palapas" for much needed shade, they have a efficient wait staff on the beach for drinks. Staying at the Ambar, you have full access to all of the sister resorts in the Bahia complex, and you can dine at any of the ala cartes throughout the complex, with the exception of the Esmeralda buffet, many choices to choose from. The beach is mostly laid back, and quiet for relaxing in the Sun, and Shade, but the pool does get livelier with music, dancing, and a swim up bar, and you also have full access to the Esmeralda pool (next door to the Ambar), where it is more livelier, for more drinks, and fun. The Ambar, and the Esmeralda are both Ocean front versus the Punta Cana that is so far back from the beach, we stay on the first floor Bldg #64, and was really only about 40 steps to the pool, and only a 1 - 2 minute walk to the beach, Bldg #60, 64, and 67 are the closest to the pool, and beach. We bring our 34oz. Bubba mugs, that keep drinks, and beer cold for hours, can be bought at Wal-Mart for about $10. USD each, and the bartenders, and wait staff are more than glad to fill, and keep refilling them for you, a great idea to bring a couple of Bubba mugs with you, you won't be alone having them with you, I always had them fill my Bubba mug at the end of the night with "Long Island Iced Tea" to take back to the room for a very nice "nightcap". You will definitely enjoy yourself by upgrading to the Ambar, well worth the little more money over the Punta Cana. Best Wishes, LeoSue

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time off work booked!

Thanke LeoSue!

No one has touched upon my question for the canned beer.

I went to the punta cana side last time with a couple who enjoy beer more than cocktails but didn't like the draft.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time off work booked!

Secrets Royal Beach and Now Larimar used to be NH Real (or something like that). They are side by side. Secrets is adult only and has access to the family resort Now Larimar, but not the other way around. They are at the north end of Bavaro Beach. Just to the south of Secrets, is Paradisus Palma Real, and then Melia Caribe Tropical.

Here's a map: puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

I believe it became a Secrets after Excellence ceased to be a Secrets, which was back in 2007/2008 or so.

Mark

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time off work booked!

Joey, Didn't drink any beer, but I think "Presidente" is the brand served, and is in the small fridge, but never hurts to ask for another brand of beer, see if they have any others. Best Wishes, LeoSue ps. give a "Long Island Ice Tea" a try some night, the price is "right", and tell them MUCHO alcohol.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 04:58
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time off work booked!

Whatever beer is available, it will stay cold in the recommended 34oz "Bubba" mugs. An excellent $10.00 investment !

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time off work booked!

Joey

The only beer available at the Bahia resorts in cans is Presidente. The canned beer is only available in the mini fridge in all guest rooms at all 5 Bahia resorts in the complex.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)