We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana - seaweed

rochester
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana - seaweed

I am looking at a vacation in January in Punta Cana. Every resort I look at on TA, visitors talk about so much seaweed. I email them directly to see if I am understanding it and they reply that yes there is a lot of seaweed on the beach and in the water. I went to Bahamas at the end of June this year and there was lots of seaweed there too. Very dissapointed. Have been to Mexico, Aruba, T&C, Punta Cana, and never had seaweed. What is the reason? Any suggestions where to go that there won't be lots of seaweed?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

I can understand this if it's after a rain or storm, all water will bring up some seaweed, but normally we don't see that much, sometimes you will see some floating, and you avoid it, mostly it's on the beach in the morning and the resorts have men working early to rake and remove it. It's not like you're walking in it and feet or legs getting tangled, never paid it any mind bc it's just a small part of the ocean that doesn't get in our way.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

Hi

There has been an increasing amount if seaweed / seagrass about and we have experienced it in Mexico on previous trips as well Punta Cana

Resort cannot do anything about it coming ashore but what they can do is to be timely in collecting it up and taking it away and some properties are better at it than others

rochester
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

I agree with you. I don't mind walking over it to get into beautiful crystal blue waters of the ocean. I just don't want to have to keep moving it away while in the water or walking on it while in the water. My girlfriend was in Nassau while I was in Freeport at the end of June. While I could not see down in the water past my knees, she could see her toes. She was lucky she could see down because she just missed stepping on a small stingray. I on the other hand would not have even been able to see to the bottom and would have stepped on it or anything else. I like nice crystal blue waters so I can see what is on the sand beneath my feet.

rochester
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

I agree. While on many vacations I have never seen seaweed until this year. I know seaweed is a part of ocean/beach life but not so much. I don't mind walking over it on the beach to get into crystal clear blue waters, but I don't want to have to keep moving it in the water to swim or to have to walk on it on the oceans sand. Maybe this is a bad year??

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

We have never had an issue with too much seaweed. I think the weather plays a big part as people have said. If there is a big storm that causes the water to be rough you will find more seaweed....go to the pool

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

No seaweed? Try Arizona? :)

Yes have seen many complaints, but in over 25 trips there, have never encountered this issue. As others have said, perhaps some resorts clean up better than others. We have seen the clean up crews very diligently raking the beaches very early each morning.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

It was funny, one year, in Puerto Rico, the seaweed was so bad that I came out of the water with it stuck inside my bathing suit.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

haha Kathryn, I have pics of me as a young girl in a light pink suit full of seaweed from the Jersey shore, it was coming out of the legs and mom thought it hysterical to safe the memory forever! LOL... never happened in PC by the way.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

Taprice, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yuck!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana - seaweed

I say that perhaps an ocean vacay is not for you. One cannot predict sea weed amounts in the water. It is a natural product. Most resorts do try and keep the beach clear of it but it is not as if they can take a giant skimmer and remove it from the water. Not meaning to be snarky but that is a fact.

You might do better to find a resort that has an awesome pool, which should not be a huge problem.