We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Hello All ! so we are a young couple 25, we just got engaged and are starting to plan our Honeymoon. we love the all inclusive aspect and love Dominican Republic. Cant beat the All inclusive resorts for the Price you pay! Any one have pros or cons about these resorts? just trying to see which one over all is better and what the true differences are. Thanks everyone!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

kevin m, Both of the Majestic resorts are similar, but the Elegance is slightly newer, with a little more updates, and ammenities. The Majestic will be a little cheaper to stay at, but whichever resort you do choose, would definitely recommend you book at swim-out room, especially since it will be your honeymoon. A swim-out room provides you with your own patio, table and chairs, two loungers, about 15 feet of grass, small bushes between neighboring rooms. Never having to wander around the pool looking for open loungers, which is not easy to find, especially in the afternoon, returning from the beach, for a couple of hundred dollars more, the swim-out room is perfect, especially for a couple. Hope this helps you some. Best Wishes, LeoSue

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Both have Club Levels (Adults only). You will find more offered in Club at Elegance than Colonial. Elegance was built to have a Club Level. Colonial renovated to have one. Pricing is slightly higher at Elegance Club, but you get many more choices of extras. Not that Colonial Club is at all bad. There are three separate private pools/bars/llounges at ME. Two of the lounges are ocean front and two stories. There is one very large Club lounge at Colonial located in the middle of the Club area. Think beige marble when you think of ME and terra cotta when you think of MC. It's up to you what your preference is. Since ME is a bit higher priced, the food budget is larger, etc. Both are quite nice. Hubby and I have spent over 26 weeks at the two of them since 2008.

Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

We have only stayed at the elegance side, yet last year during renovations we were allowed to use the colonial amenities. We were equally impressed, so this year we are giving the colonial side a try. We did not love the swim up. We didn't like that you couldn't lock the slider from the poolside. Plus it's not real easy getting on and out of the pool. Last year we were lucky enough to get a terrace room, which was fabulous. 18 days and counting for our return. I will be sure to post an honest comparison of the two by the end of the month.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Thank you all ! it is still early as we will be on getting married in June 2016 but the planning is the best part! we are leaning toward the Elegance and will do a honey moon master 2 floor suite on the beach that has a Jacuzzi inside and on the patio with a swim out, and a bed outside between the patio and pool. also on the second floor has a rooftop jacuzzi and lounge chairs over looking the ocean. i think this is the winner! resort looks cry nice and the reviews seem very good for nightlife, beach, bars, restaurants and the bad reviews just seem to come from people who forget they are on vacation and are way to picky! We do appreciate all your input! this is not just another vacation but our honeymoon so is special, thank you all !

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Very welcome, Kevin, sounds like you are making some very special plans for your honeymoon, You and your Bride to be will absolutely Love the Majestic Elegance. As you noted, there are always a few people that will complain about any little thing, we don't take those picky, little things very serious when choosing a resort. Best Wishes in all of Your Wedding, and Honeymoon plan ! LeoSue

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

Question, would you recommend ME to a family traveling with two 19 y/o and two 21 y/o? Are their activities during the day they can participate in? Any recommendations? Planning on staying beginning on January.

Edited: 14 September 2014, 18:25
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

There are activities in the regular pool like the foam party, yes.... Club level is even quieter.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

the mainpool/regular side offers pool games and beachgames every day, the Club Level is the quiet part without such.

agreed on the swimup rooms with private Patio, they are fantastic, they are the reason for our numerous return visits there, its that room category and available as such on the regular side by the Mainpool, not at the Club.

while the Elegance over all is slightly younger than the Colonial, as for the Clubs the Colonial Club Rooms are the newest, with the Elegance Club rooms right on the Beach (2 buildings closest on the beach) to be the oldest club rooms available between both hotels.

over all both are very comparable/similar. the Colonial is a bit bigger than Elegance but still both are very easy to navigate without any transportation necessary, at the Colonial you are better off in case you travel with younger children, at the Elegance you find as "Kids" families with young adults and couples with the smallest ones, we found the Elegance to be the perfect fit when our girlie was 6 months old on a week's stay at the Elegance.

restaurants/food wise both are equal, for very most restaurants no reservations necessary, can't comment on the few with reservations as i avoid such pre-dinner-planning on vacation and did never visit any of those.

both sides are very fine for a great vacation, what brings us back to the Elegance is the roomcategory of swimup suites on the regular side with their small own private patio and loungers.

Mike

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

This is the review I just submitted to TA about my recent experience.

Overall experience was great. We went from 9/6-9/13 for our honeymoon.

We stayed in the Colonial Club (Worth the extra $$) our butler was Frankie and he was very friendly and attentive. We had splurged for the 3rd floor ocean view room with Jacuzzi on the balcony. It was not worth the extra money. We rarely used the patio and once there realized we would have been just as happy having a swim-up with Jacuzzi for less money. ALL the rooms have a Jacuzzi tub and walk in shower with bench, BUT only the 1st floor rooms have the Jacuzzi on the balcony in addition, except for the 3rd floor ocean view rooms. The mini fridge is stocked daily with soda, beer and bottle water. There is always snacks as well as beverages available in the Colonial Club too. I was very impressed that if I wanted to take a bath I could as my butler to “draw my bath” at any time I wanted.. One night I wanted a bath after dinner so I gave him a time and when we came back the bath was made, rose petals were spread around and champagne was placed out. It was wonderful.

The grounds and the rooms were very clean. My only real complaint would have to be the food and the hours of the swimming pools. The service in the restaurant were slow and they wait staff/ chefs knew little English. If I had a question about how a dish was prepared they had a hard time answering me. We ate breakfast at the indoor buffet every morning. The indoor buffet is the better of the two, it is larger and you do not have to fight the fly’s and birds off your food =)

The eggs were runny, so I would suggest using the omelet station. The crepes and the Churros were amazing as well as the fresh juices (Watermelon, Pineapple, Papaya etc.). The Japanese restaurant was the best overall meal, and the steak at the French restaurant was the best steak.

The nightly entertainment was okay, the best shows were the Michael Jackson tribute, and the Magic Show. The beach party and foam party were a blast for all ages!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic Elegance vs Majestic Colonial ?

as for the closing hours of the swimming pools, you will find the same at any resort around, to keep pools open at a AI resort late in the day/during the evenings/at night with all that booze flowing the hotels sure would need trained/certifie lifeguards on duty for such at every pool in every dark corner of the pool areas, such is not available and i guess for a simple AI resort such efford would be very far out of business, considering that you will find NO lifeguards at any pool during the days and even on the beaches only some regular watersports staff members as "lifeguard observers" at some very few as dangerous (due former bad accidents) declared Hotelbeaches. to run such for the evenings/nights when the same guests drinking all inclusive all day long start to get into the real party hardy mode, impossible to imagine the resulting mess and dangers, lol.

as for the mentioned language barrier to talk simple stuff like "how a steak should be done" or what incredients are in a standard menue at a AI a la carte restaurant of a large AI resort, sorry, no comment.

happy travels

Mike