We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MSG Allergy

London Ontario...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
MSG Allergy

I am staying at the Punta Cana Princess from Oct 7 - 14 and I was wondering if this resort is in the practice of using msg on their food. I had an episode in Mexico in May and it put me out of commission for a couple of days, I would like to try to avoid this.

What foods should I stay away from?

What foods should be safe?

Thanks for the help

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MSG Allergy

Hello

I'm not sure what you mean by " using MSG on food"

I would recommend you check this with your doctor if you have concerns

Punta Cana Princess is still closed until November I believe; I would call your travel agent just to be sure

All the best

bb

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MSG Allergy

For those that don't know MSG is a food additive that it used mostly in Chinese foods and many meat dishes and bottled sauces. It is a flavor enhancer. Many people are affected in different ways such as mild to severe headaches and stomach ailments.

Dirtdaddy I'm not sure whether they use it or would even know what it is. You may have a hard time with this because there are so many diffferent dishes prepared each day as you know. I stayed at the Princess last year. You probably should contact the resort by email and ask them.

Sorry I could'nt be more helpful.

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MSG Allergy

Hi

Sorry - had you have written monosodium glutamate I would have instantly known what you meant - I've never seen it abbrieviated before!

I would imagine there is a great possibility that they would use this in the recipes etc so your doctor may reccommend you stick to dishes where it would not usually be addied i.e. fruits, salads plainly cooked meat, fish & eggs etc.

Many hotels here prepare dishes such as omlettes & pastas while you watch so I would guess these would be safe too.

All the best

bb

4. Re: MSG Allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 09:18