We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

new york, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

I don't trust what the hotel is telling me. Can anyone who's been there since the hurricane please let me know if it's really back to normal (or not)?

The beach? Is it washed away, or is it nice? Sand? Turquoise water? I love the beach and would hate to get there to find that it's in really poor condition.

The pools?

The rooms? (water damage? mold?).

The BUG problem?

Also... how's the food. Getting lots of mixed reviews on if it's really any good (and if you'll get SICK from it).

Your comments and answers to our questions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

haddon township, nj
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Please read "Just returned from Secrets" posted Just Ducky. A few of us just returned last week from Secrets and its absolutely fine! There are also tips and pointers on what to and not to do I too was just a nervous before I went and I'm really glad we went. (Oct 9 thru 16) I can only tell you the most disappointing part for me was the beach - it's not washed away and it's not cystal clear either but it's warm and enjoyable. It's not dirty just strong current with alot of waves. Everything else overcame my disappointment. Take a chance and go - you'll enjoy but if your that uncertain - no amount of convincing will make you feel better. I for one am VERY glad I didn't postpone or go to another resort. Secrets is very romantic with lots to do or little to do like just relaxing on the beach or floating in the pool.

Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

There's a user review and great post-Jeanne photos on my message board from someone who just returned from Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana if you're interested.

www.chris-n-cheryl.com

Hope that helps,

Cheryl :)

new york, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Hi Cheryl,

Wondering if the person who posted the review on your site went to Punta Cana, or Playa Del Carmen?? They mentioned:

"Took a long walk down the beach (right of the resort) to the Paradises, which we heard was closed. When we got there though there were people on the beach".

Only problem is, the Paradises in Punta Cana is on Bavaro Beach.... 1/2 hour away. But in Mexico, it's right next door down the beach to the right. Any idea what this means???

Thanks

punta cana, dom rep.
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Hotel is back to normal again, I; telling you because I' work here in PUJ and we're sending clients and feed back is excellent.

Ocala, Fl
Level Contributor
68 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Just returned from Secrets Excellence PC on Sunday 10/24. Everything is back to normal and looking great. If you see the pictures in the lobby taken just afte hurricane Jeanne it is hard to believe that they got the resort back to a paradise in such a short time.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Looking forward to our trip.

One more question... Any idea if they have internet access on-site?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Yes, they have an internet cafe on site. The prices are much more reasonable than the phone. We emailed home and paid $5. I want to say $5 for 15 minutes. It can be billed to your room, but we paid in cash.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

Just back from Secrets 10-25. I would never have know a hurricane went through until I saw the pictures in the lobby. I don't now how they got everything back together in such a short time. The place is beautiful. You have nothing to worry about. As far as calling home, I purchased a golbal calling card from gold prepaid at the link below.

www.goldprepaid.com/goldprepaid/index.cfm…

You have to pay Secrets about $2.00 for the connection (billed to your room charges) each time you call, but then it is only .33 per minute off the value of the card. Probably the best way to go.

Cape May, NJ
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

LTJ-

Thanks for the tip on the phone card- I was wondering how much they would charge you to make phone calls from the resort. Hope you had a great trip!!

haddon township, nj
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets -- is it REALLY back to normal??

lawman: do tell - did you have a good time? what was your opinion on secrets? i agree - the pictures in the lobby are incredible. I was shock to see so much damage and how they repaired so fast!