We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hepatits a vaccine

pa
4 posts
Save Topic
hepatits a vaccine

I see that the CDC has recommended the hepatitis a vaccine if you are traveling to DR. Have a lot of people gotten it? My children were vaccinated last month, but my DH and I have an appointment this week. Aparently you are supposed to get the immunization at least 30 days prior to going, and we're leaving in 7. I doubt it will be effective for our trip. Is this something to be concerned about? I know relatives who have gone in the past and who were not vaccinated.

What are your thought?

vancouver
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Yes definately get this for all your family. It's vital for your safety at home too since it is an airbourne virus spread often with food service providers.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hepatits a vaccine

I bought the first of my 3 doses Friday. Going Monday for the injection. Doc said, the injection schedule is a first injection, 30 days later a second and the 3rd 6 months after the first. Now he said after the 2nd dose your are protected 80%. But I was reading there is a faster dose rate but a fourth dose is needed after 12 months. it is one dose, another after 7 days and the third at 21 days. this way you could get 2 doses and be protected 80% (better than 0%)

pa
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hepatits a vaccine

We are definately getting vaccinated. I'm just nervous because I'm not sure if it will be effective yet.

How is hep a transmitted? I was under the impression it was spread through the water supply. I didn't realize it was an airborne disease.

vancouver
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Hepatitis A is a serious liver disease caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV). HAV is found in the feces of people with hepatitis A and is usually spread by close personal contact (including intimate relations or sharing a household). It can also be spread by eating food or drinking water contaminated with HAV.

There was a recent outbreak of HEP A in Vancouver at a local organic food market. A food prep staff member had HEP A and did not wear gloves making salads after using the washroom....

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hepatits a vaccine

haven't read anything about it being airbourne.

HepA: oral/fecal

HepB:blood, fecal, saliva, oral.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hepatits a vaccine

I only have the Hep A vaccination, since it makes good sense to have it even back home in North America. It is transmitted in any number of ways . From www.hepnet.com, the following:

The hepatitis A virus is transmitted by the fecal-oral route, through close person-to-person contact, or by ingesting contaminated food or water. Infection has been shown to be spread by:

-- close personal contact with someone infected with hepatitis A.

-- eating foods contaminated by infected food handlers.

-- contact with infected children (who do not usually show symptoms), who can then infect non-immune children or adults at home or in child-care centers.

-- ingesting raw or undercooked shellfish (e.g. oysters, clams, mussels) from waters contaminated with the hepatitis A virus.

-- ingesting contaminated food or water during travel to underdeveloped areas.

-- transmission through blood transfusions or sharing needles with infected people using injectable drugs.

I got my immunization about 10 days before my trip. I was told that it would start becoming effective but would not be entirely effective when I arrived. It was better to get it started once I decided to proceed. I went back within the year to get the booster which makes it effective for 10 - 30 years.

Kaki

vancouver
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Opps not airborne virus, but spread by oral/fecal.

pa
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Thanks for all the input.

As I said, we are definately getting our vaccine tomorrow. I'll have to look into other options for this trip to protect ourselves. I saw on a website something about immune globuline. I'll have to research that a little.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Yes you should get the "A" shot and the "B" shot wouldn;t hurt either.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hepatits a vaccine

Yikes I am leaving in 9 days. Our doctor didn't think the shot was necessary. Now I am scared.