We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teeth of the Dog

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Teeth of the Dog

I'm staying at the Melia Caribe. What is the best way to make travel arrangements and get a tee time at Teeth of the Dog? How long is the trip?

edmonton,alberta
Level Contributor
465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Hello, Best way is to do it thru the customer desk at the hotel. They can make your tee-times, and travel........ to and from the course. Don't remember the distance to the crse. but i would count on at least an hour and a half...to 2 hrs. for travel. The normal 18 hole rate for this gem...is $196-220us....and includes cart.....tip for the caddy is extra...usually 10-25 dollars. Ckeck with the tour desk at your hotel to see if their is a discount avail.

Cheers!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Perfect. Thanks!

BTW, cart and caddie? Aren't those the same thing? I think I know what you're saying. The caddie is sort of a drink caddie. Too bad.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Hey Ronnie, you may want to check on availablity for tee times at the Dog, or do so real quick.

You may get told that there is a 6 month backlog. But of you check around you might get different answers. We didnt get the right answers last summer and chose Jamaica instead, that was a mistake.

edmonton,alberta
Level Contributor
465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Hello again, To follow up on your reply..........When i was their 3yrs. ago it was like this: You drive your golf cart.....the caddy walks (not to worry.....he WILL keep up). Their is a roving concessions cart that drives around, to offer you bottled water and soft drinks....that's free....but no hard liquor. Your caddy does not actually serve you the refreshments....the person driving the concession cart takes care of that. If you are a die-hard golfer (i'm a 4 handi-cap)....and play this crse. from the back tees....it'll take ALL YOU GOT for ya to break 80, as i have done that only 2 times...it's tough....but to me it's worth every dollar you paid! On another note.....with the screen name you have......any chance that you are from Saskatchewan?...just an observation.

Enjoy (and as the golf channel guy says: "keep it in the short grass")

Cheers!

Boston
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Just got back yesterday. Played Punta Blanca 3 times, first 2 times only the front was open on Friday they let us play the back.

Wide open easy course with the back nine not ready just yet

We were all set to go to La Romana and play Teeth of the dog but was told it's a 1.5 hour drive that often takes 3 hour because of bad roads and trafic. Every body at the course and at the resort told us to go to Cap Cana instead (30-35 minute drive). Our Driver and the pro both have worked at The Dog and said Cap cana was the better of the 2 (only 1month old but will top 20 in the world.

It's not cheap $ 330.00 US plus tip for caddie

No golf is worth that much but it was by far the best golf experience in my life. 5 hole on the ocean and 14 ocean views.

i have played kapalua, Walked Peeble beach at the 2000 US open

This was better

Take a second morgage delay your kids college and play this course

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teeth of the Dog

Thank you for all your posts. I really appreciate them. I've never played golf in the DR before and you've given me a good sense of what I'll encounter there.

A good forecaddie can be helpful, especially with blind tees and fescue like at Whistling Straits. However, I've yet to find a useful forecaddie at a Caribbean resort.

Cap Cana compares to Kapalua and Pebble? That's heady company. I do enjoy the Plantation and have played Pebble twice (you're right, no course is worth $450US). But like Pebble, I want to play at The Teeth as much for its history and reputation as for its outright quality. I have to admit that I'm a little wary of new courses that burst on the scene and are immediately rated in the Top 20 (eg. Rocky Crest and Fox Harb'r on the current Score list - both great courses but they won't be in the top 20 ten years from now). These new courses may belong in that upper tier, but I usually like to wait for the course to season before I drop several hundred dollars on the experience.

I will try to pay Cap Cana on your advice. After reading your post, I looked at the website. Cap Cana looks a little like Cabo del Sol in Mexico, which I enjoyed immensely. Not top 20 in the world, but it may sneak on to someone's top 100 list sometime).

Casa de Campo is a long way to travel without a guaranteed time. It is very rare that a good starter can't get on a single sometime within a few hours of arrival (Bethpage Black comes to mind as an exception - I waited three months). However, I don't think I can negotiate the trip from my wife unless my concierge can guarantee me access.

And yes, I grew up in Saskatchewan, although I've lived on the east coast (Boston and now Halifax) for some time. I still bleed green.

Thank you all again!

7. Re: Teeth of the Dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 00:17