We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

Hi,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to the DR at the end of April. We are seasoned Carribean travelers in our early 30s. The plan is to leave the kids with the grandparents and take a few days to do absolutely nothing.

Anyway, we are checking out RIU Bambu and Ocean Bavaro. They both seem to have decent reviews. The hotels are priced closely so I was wondering if anyone could give me there opinion on which might be better for us.

Thanks

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

bump and another question -

I pushed my travel dates out into early May and found I could stay at Gran Bahia Principe for only about $50 more for the trip. Would it be worth the extra $50? There are some mixed recent reviews so I was wondering if anything changed there lately.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

stubborn, Stayed at the Bambu in May of 2006. We are seasoned travelers as well and found the Bambu to be absolutely disgusting in every way except the beach. Rooms are small and if you want a king size bed, you get two twins pushed together. The food was inedible and dangerous. There was constant food recycling. Additionally, the rooms had serious mold issues.

I have never stayed at the properties you are looking into, but I would suggest anything is better than either the Riu Bambu or Taino. Do a search of Bambu on the forums and read the reviews carefully. Some of us do not exagerate or lie.

On a positive note, all Riu properties are on Bavaro Beach and it is gorgeous.

IMHO, pay the extra, you really do get what you pay for.

Hope this helps. If not, my review and email address is available for questions.

PRIZE

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

Just reread your post. The Grand Bahia Principe is on the Bavaro Beach and is newer than the Bambu. Again, IMHO, pay the extra $50.

PRIZE

Ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

PrizefromPhilly,

I am really surprised at your info re Bambu. I stayed there in May 2002 and it was absolute Paradise, the place was so well run, the food excellent, loved the beach, etc etc. I always said I would go back there someday. Was it my imagination as a new traveller then, or has the place just deteriorated since then??

Natalie

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

Natalie&Tim, Can't really answer the question. I guess a great deal can change in four years and/or different people have different expectations and experiences. We found the beach the most gorgeous we have ever been on, but the resort was the worste. Would have enjoyed a Motel 6 and the Country Buffet more. We were very disappointed.

I still check out the Bambu reviews and many like it. It was not the place for us though. Our main issues: mold, poor air conditioning and dreadful food. IMHO, the food was actually dangerous. I was sick for a day, but did not wind up in the hospital, thank goodness. The entire place just seemed to need an update.

PRIZE

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

Well, I changed my mind again and finally booked Majestic Colonial for 4/30-5/4. Since I'm already spending enough money to get there, why not another $100. The reviews seem mostly good and we are fairly easy to please people.

Thanks for the help.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

stubborn1, I was going to suggest the Iberostar, which is great, but you will love the Majestic Colonial. I also did not like the RIU Bambu. The property has a lot of potential, but the service is bad, the food is not good (and I'm not a picky eater), the beach is nice (but you'll have the same stretch of beach at Majestic).

We got a good deal, but I would have been really upset if we paid more for that trip. I just returned from the Iberostar Dominicana and the differences were amazing.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

stubborn, Congrats!!!! As we are leaving the Majestic on April 28, you will be arriving on April 30th. I promise I will not drink all of the Presidente. LOLOL Seriously, while I have never been to the Majestic yet, I have been researching and it is worlds apart from the Bambu. I guess it is like the difference between driving a Volkswagen and a Mercedes. Have fun on your trip!

PRIZE

9. Re: RIU Bambu vs Ocean Bavaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 13:19