We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

Hi,

Could anyone please let me know what to expect weather wise for the month of May? Does it rain much? How hot does it get? Are the Mosquitos bad at that time of year?

Thanks so much for your help.

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

We've gone in May past two years 5 nights which was on Mother's Day weekend. 1st year no rain; 2nd year the arrival day it poured and then some rain next morning then it was gorgeous - but I have to tell you unless you drink there's nothing to do if it's raining :) plus they speak spanish & won't tell you the weather.....about 85 to 90 degrees & we got great tans....you'll love the beach - where are you staying & how did you decide. Have been to Grand Paradise & may do something different can't decide where though.....

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

We've gone in May past two years 5 nights which was on Mother's Day weekend. 1st year no rain; 2nd year the arrival day it poured and then some rain next morning then it was gorgeous - but I have to tell you unless you drink there's nothing to do if it's raining :) plus they speak spanish & won't tell you the weather.....about 85 to 90 degrees & we got great tans....you'll love the beach - where are you staying & how did you decide. Have been to Grand Paradise & may do something different can't decide where though.....

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

oops we didn't encounter any mosquitoes - maybe it's certain times of the year.........

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

Thanks Sunshine New York,

My girlfriend and I are going away for a week to celebrate her Birthday, Mother's Day and a break away from Hubbies and kids. We haven't decided where we are going to stay, we are considering Iberostar Dominican, Riu Bambu and the IFA Villas Bavaro. Any suggestions on resorts would be great. I'll be flying to London, ON and then we will be flying out of Detroit, MI.

We've only been to the DR once and that was 8 years ago for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we stayed at the Capella Beach Resort an hour out of Santo Domingo and it was a disaster: food poisoning, mold growing in the rooms, rusty staples in a hamburger, etc. Needless to say we haven't been back, instead we've gone back to Mexico each year and stayed at either the Riu Yucatan, Riu Jalisco or the Riu Vallarta. Anyway my girlfriend and I thought that we would give the DR another chance without the hubbies and so any tips, suggestions or infomation that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

i'd have I hope you do better than last time. The beach at Punta Cana is absolutely beautiful - we've been to Hawaii, Jamaica, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, St. John's and the beach at Punta Cana is way up there - but it is a cheap country and 5* is different in the Dominican but it can be great. We're leaning toward the Bahia only from reviews we've stayed at Grand Paradise Bavaro and are just looking for alittle nicer room this time - all-inclusive food is what is from our experiences - good luck let me know where you decide on staying

6. Re: Weather in May? & Are there lots of Mosquitos during May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 19:19