We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are fine for now in Samana

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
We are fine for now in Samana

Just wanted to let everyone know that ,although we did feel the earthquake here in Samana, we are all fine. Nothing is different in Samana. We are all sad and worried but things are normal as can be here. You are as far away as possible from Haiti when you are in Samana.

I am thinking of using my restaurant as a drop point for relief supplies for anyone who might want to send things over to Haiti. We would be open on any cruise ship day in Samana. Which is every Monday and every other Sunday (starting with 01-17-10) as well as some other days during the weeks to come.

beamsville
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

Travelling to Samana next weekend. Would like to bring some things for the relief effort. What is the name of and location of your resteraunt?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

We will be at BP el Portillo from Jan 18-25. do you know if there are any drop off's in the area? It would be a good idea to have a drop off for tourists at the airport.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

Our restaurant, Rinconcito View is at the bottom of the hill from Cayacoa Hotel. There are three roundabouts on our main street and we are by the middle one. Right at the end of the Pueblo Principe strip mall that belongs to the same hotel chain. Across from the big green BHD bank.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

I'm not sure if there will be any drop offs at the airport but you are right it would be a great idea. I'm also not too sure what they have in place up in Las Terrenas/El Portillo area either. There are many Haitians in that town because there are many French people there. Most Haitians speak or understand French so they work well together in that area.

The Dominicans have actually done a great job of helping out in Haiti. There have been so many stories already of them making donations of time, money and heavy equipment.

It was a Dominican search and rescue team that was the first on the scene as far as foreign help. I am very happy to see the love and support being shown here for our helpless neighbors in Haiti.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

Great post, I was thinking about the airport too but didn't think that there would be a drop off.

Although I have made donations as of cash, I thought I would like to bring what I could on Jan.30th. Keep the posts coming if anyone hears of anymore.

My thoughts are with all those in Haiti and I am glad things seem okay in DR.

PEI
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

Hi,

I am happy to hear Samana is ok. I am arriving to Samana on March 4 and am bringing clothing for children will there be a drop off near Grand Paradise Samana? I have donated towards the Haiti relief as well and would like to help with clothing for them. So devastating..

peterborough
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

where is your restaurant located in samana? is it anywhere near gran bahia principe cayacoa?

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

so good of you to do this terry. you have reinforced my confidence in recommending you to visitors to the area :) though the wife and i have canceled our vacation for this year we are planning to visit this november and will definately stop by your establishment to visit as we will be staying part of the time in LG. God bless you for the advise you give on this and other sites and for this very important work for the haitian relief effort. ben

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

Thank you very much Ben. It was late for most people on the ships that came in today but we still were able to accept a suitcase full of supplies. I'm sure we will get more in the next couple of weeks.

I can't say for sure yet, but I would like to deliver it myself. Depending on how much comes in.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We are fine for now in Samana

I'm not sure who dropped off the relief supplies on Monday but thank you very much. I will be heading to the western Dominican town of Azua on Friday to take those supplies and what we have collected here amongst the locals. There are many displaced Haitians in the town of Azua who have arrived with the clothes on their backs and many of them without shoes.

I will have the restaurant open on Thursday just in case anyone would like to get in on this shipment of supplies. I won't be at the restaurant but my wife will.

Thank you in advance for your help and thank you very much to TripAdvisor.com for allowing me to have this info on their forum.