We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

Hello

We are staying at then Gran Bahia Cayacoa in Samana over march break, I have read a little that there really is not much to see as for Snorkelling at the Cayacoa. I also read there is in Las Terranas at the Gran Bahia El Portillo.

Does anyone know how far of a drive these two places are from each other. Also is there maybe a shuttle offered by the Gran Bahia and lastly will we have exchange privileges between the two resorts so we can eat and drink when we are there.

Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

It takes about 45 min to drive from Samana to El Portillo. There is no shuttle offered so you would have to take a taxi between the two.

I just called up to Cayacoa and they told me that they could make some calls depending on the day of the week and occupancy so that you could visit the other property in El Portillo but there would not be eating privileges.

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

Ok, thank you so much for your help. I guess we may just need to take a taxi ride to another beach. Can you rocomend a beach close to the Cayacoa that has good Snorkling? or I guess we could always do a day trip with a tour company.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

You can take the boat from Cayacoa to Cayo Levantado for $30 a person I think. They take you there from 9 am till 1 pm. You don't even get visit privileges for the hotel over there but you can use the public beach which has some awesome stuff to see around it.

The best thing would be to take a whale tour and most "good" tour companies ; ) will take you to Cayo also for the remainder of the day.

La Playita is a great place to snorkel because it has a barrier reef to protect the beach area from waves.

The famous Rincon is awesome too but it can be rough and when it is you can't really see the really good stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

terry(the above poster toursamanawithterry) also does tours in samana. he knows the places to go and would be a good alternative to the tour companies at the resort. i am sure you could pm him for details and his availibility. ben

5. Re: Snorkelling at Gran Bahia Coyacoa and El Portillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 08:16