We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

We are coming to the Samana Peninsula for Spring Break (end of March) with our 2 kids. We'd like to bring some supplies for the children of Haiti even though we've already donated $. Is there anyone in the area organizing a drop off point for these things? If so, what's needed?

Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

what a noble gesture from you and the kids(i know they had some input on this:) ) while there are now organizations in the area which are collecting things and delivering to haiti i am not sure how long this will be going on. the peninsula is quite a long way from haiti and since the end of march is a somewhat long time away(i know time is relative) saying these things will still be going on is iffy. someone more local(toursamanawithterry for example who is collecting as we speak at his restaurant) may be able to confirm or deny whether this will still be going on. some other alternatives would be to drop them in santo domingo(many of the relief organizations go through there on their way to haiti and i am sure if any relief is still ongoing it would be happening there) or to bring school supplies or such to local dominicans. the town of sanchez is very poor and i am sure that school supplies and toys would be appreciated there and it is on the way to las terrenas(there is a school in sanchez if you take a right at the intersection where you turn left to LT will be a short way on your right we have given supplies and baseball equipment before here and was greatly appreciated!). there are also some good local charities in LT as well, the mohatma gandhi foundation is one that comes to mind. either way thanks and God bless you for thinking of those in need. ben

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

There are many many Haitians living in our area, i.e. the Peninsula. They work very hard here for very little and send what they can back to their families in Haiti. I agree that in most cases it's best to give money to organizations to who use the money wisely. That having been said I think that if you had some things that you would like to donate to Haitians in our area that it will have a trickle down effect from here all the way over to Haiti.

If we give a Haitian person a pair of pants here in Samana that is $5 more that he can send back to his family in Haiti.

We will continue to do what we can for as long as we can here in Samana. Though it's kind of crazy, I realized, to drive stuff all the way over to Haiti for 7 hours like I did on Friday. I think that we will take what we receive and give it to our local poor Haitians so that they can directly help their families back home.

If I'm out of line or you feel differently please let me know your thoughts. I am willing to do whatever you wish with any donations left with me.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

Thanks for both of your thoughts. We've donated cash, but certainly since we're coming down so close to Haiti in March we feel like we should do more. I agree that anything all of us can do whether it's clothing, school supplies or cash, it allows those in your area to send more $ to Haiti. I'll think about it and get back with you.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

We will be here for whatever part we can have a share in.

5. Re: Place to donate supplies for Haiti in the Samana Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:19