We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa and it's surrounding areas.

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
661 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa and it's surrounding areas.

I haven't booked our trip yet, so I thought I would ask advice from you all prior to booking this hotel. Everything seems to be wonderful, I will be traveling with two older children 24 and 18 , and our two younger children 6 and 4. Do you think will the hotel suit the older two, is it so relaxing that they would be bored. ( these two are not huge party people but do like to meet other fun people).

Usually when we go on holidays we leave the hotel and wander around on foot to see the countryside, meet the locals etc? is this hotel in an area where it is possible to do this? are there little bars and resturaunts to visit besides just staying in the all inclusive? . I suppose what I am asking is what would you reccomend we do besides just the tours, and staying in the all inclusive? Are the locals friendly? we enjoyed chatting with the jamaican people and visiting their local bars and tiny resturaunts.

Arena Tours Excursiones
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Dominican Airport Transfers PLUS
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Emmanuel Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Eco Tours, Private Tours
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa and it's surrounding areas.

I've never stayed at the hotel so I'll leave those details to someone else but I do live here so I can help with the second part.

There is a boardwalk in Samana that is at least a mile long. At night the locals set up small food stands and tables. That is where most of the locals eat at night. It's safer for tourists to visit some of our restaurants though. I would recommend the Chinese restaurant called Los Chinos. You can see it from the hotel because it's up on a hill overlooking the bay. I love to go in the day and have a beer under their open air gazebo and look at the boats. Food is very good also. They have a fillet for about $10 U.S.

I also recommend the pizza place, Du Vagabond near the Catholic church and nearer to the Supermercado (supermarket) Popular. It's a little harder to find but you'll love the atmosphere and the pizza is authentic Italian. Very good.

If you take the right tour you can meet the locals and interact with them. I recommend seeing a local families home on an excursion if you can. It's still pretty "rustic" here and you can interact with the people who live here very easily.

If you have any questions you can contact me and I'll give them my best shot. Samana is wonderful but in order to really enjoy it to the fullest you should prepare just a little bit ahead of time.

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
661 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa and it's surrounding areas.

Thankyou so much. We like to leave the hotel grounds, and eat in the local resturaunts, and drink in the local beer places, you have just made me confident that indeed Samana is the place for us to visit. My children are similar and would rather go local than just sit by the pool or in the lobby mixing with other tourists.

3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa and it's surrounding areas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 07:43